DOZENS of firefighters are battling a major blaze at a house in Chippenham tonight.

Emergency services were called the scene in Cocklebury Lane at 7.22pm, after a fire started in a kitchen.

A middle-aged man who lives at the house is believed to have suffered from smoke inhalation but is unhurt. He is being treated by ambulance service paramedics at the scene.

Police are also at the scene of the fire, which had badly damaged the three-bedroom semi-detached house.

It is understood that the fire started after a chip pan on a cooker was left unattended.

A spokeswoman for Dorset & Wiltshire Fire and Rescue Service said: “We are in defensive mode.

"The fire is not yet under control but we have protected neighbouring properties. It is going to go on all night.”

Thirty-five firefighters with eight fire appliances and an incident command unit are at the scene. They have come from Chippenham, Corsham, Calne, Devizes, Swindon, Trowbridge and Westleigh.

A water bowser from Royal Wootton Bassett arrived at the scene at 8.40pm.