WESTBURY United progressed into the FA Vase main draw after beating Horndean 1-0 away from home on Saturday.

Josh Ferguson scored the only goal of the game in the second half as Ricky Hulbert and Lewis Porter’s men progressed past the qualifying stage for the third consecutive season.

Hosts Horndean started the game well against their higher-tier opponents, but Westbury stood firm and prevented any clear-cut chances early on.

Westbury had the first real chance at goal when a header from in-form striker Sammy Jordan was easily saved by the home stopper.

Though Westbury were a little bit sloppy in possession during the first half, the Western League side were next to go close.

Jack Biddiscombe cut inside from the right wing and hit a powerful shot which the keeper parried away to safety.

Horndean replied instantly though, forcing Mark Bowden to make a great save of his own.

The Horndean attacker cut inside and struck a fine shot towards the top corner, but Bowden was at full stretch to tip it onto the bar.

Sammy Jordan went close again, bringing the ball down on his chest inside the box prior to striking a sweet overhead kick just over the bar.

Jordan was involved again just before the half-time break as Joe Stradling burst down the left to cross for Jordan to head wide of the near post.

With the second half starting quietly, Westbury looked to the bench for inspiration, and their substitutes did not take long to impact the game.

Substitute Josh Ferguson was on hand to bring the ball down, after Jordan won a tackle in midfield, before bursting through on goal and calmly dispatching a one-on-one chance.

Minutes later, Westbury could have made the game safe when Jordan was slotted through one-on-one by Ben Griffiths.

However, the Westbury man somehow fluffed his lines and put the ball wide.

The visitors' job would get slightly easier late on though, as Horndean's captain saw yellow twice in quick succession to leave the hosts with 10 men and help see Westbury through to the next round.