SWINDON Town ended 19 years without a league victory over Oxford United with a 2-1 come-from-behind win at the Kassam Stadium on Saturday.

With Town behind to a first-half Matty Taylor goal, manager John Sheridan sent on Tom Broadbent and put him up front in a bid to alter Swindon’s fortunes.

It worked wonderfully as Broadbent turned in the first in the 84th minute before laying on the assist for Tyler Smith to poke home in added time to win the derby.

Sheridan was able to call upon the services of striker Tyler Smith as he returned to the starting line-up after over a month out.

Hallam Hope was not even in the matchday squad while Tom Broadbent dropped to the bench as the returning Jonathan Grounds took his place in the heart of a five-man defence.

Meanwhile, Oxford started all four of their home grown players as Sean Long, Matty Taylor, Jordan Obita and Josh Ruffels lined up for the U's.

It was the home side who could have opened the scoring early on too after Oxford stole the ball off Anthony Grant inside Town's half and broke towards the box.

Grounds nicked the ball off Taylor inside the area though as danger loomed.

Immediately, Matt Smith released Stevens over the top, but the winger felt pressure in his back as he shot and the ball skewed well away from target.

Five minutes later, Oxford won a free-kick 30 yards out after Anthony Grant fouled Atkinson.

The ball was chipped into Taylor who swivelled and shot goalwards with his left.

Only a top save to his right from Matej Kovar denied the Oxford man the game's first goal.

However, five minutes later, the same player did get the game’s first goal after Town gave the ball away in midfield.

One straight pass through the heart of the defence saw Taylor - the lifelong Oxford fan - race in on goal before dinking over Kovar.

Town responded by producing a shot on target of their own from Matt Smith. The Arsenal loanee found himself free on the edge of the box, but his effort was straight at Simon Eastwood in truth and the stopper easily beat it away.

As the first half reached the half-hour mark, a lovely move from Swindon almost saw the score levelled.

Dion Donohue slipped Joel Grant in down the left behind the full-back, Grant’s cross was low towards Tyler Smith, but it missed the Town man and Stevens had the ball poked off his toes by Ruffels.

Following a short dead patch in proceedings, Oxford’s Jordan Obita tried a cheeky effort towards Kovar's near post, but the Town stopper just about did enough to flick it into the side netting for a corner.

Just before half-time, Oxford goalscorer Taylor missed a sitter to make it 2-0.

James Henry received the ball on the right and swung it in low first time for Taylor to tap home from inside the six-yard box.

But somehow, the Oxford goalscorer saw the ball hit his sole and skew behind for a goal-kick form four or five yards out.

Joel Grant was withdrawn prior to the interval as both he and Mathieu Baudry suffered injuries for Town in the opening 45.

The second half started quietly in terms of chances before United’s Marcus McGuane saw a thumping drive headed away from danger by Grounds in the 53rd minute.

With not much having changed from the first half, Sheridan opted to send on Jaiyesimi and Tom Broadbent on the hour mark.

Jaiyesimi slotted into his natural left-wing position while centre-back Broadbent was instructed to play up front alongside Tyler Smith.

Town did enjoy a brief spell of pressure, with Matt Smith shooting off target, but Oxford recovered and nearly went two up after Elliot Moore’s header was cleared off the line with 20 minutes to play.

A flurry of Oxford fouls came in as time trickled on, with Karl Robinson’s men evidently just as nervy as Swindon were, and United saw substitutes Mark Sykes, and goalkeeper Eastwood booked for time-wasting tactics.

But with just six minutes remaining, Swindon got the equaliser their second-half endeavour deserved.

Matt Smith broke into the box but saw his left-footed shot blocked, only to fall to Broadbent who fell backwards while volleying past Eastwood and in.

And in added time, Swindon turned the game on its head.

A long ball forward was headed on by Broadbent, and Tyler Smith nipped in past Eastwood to touch the ball into the net and end 19 years of league meetings without a win for Swindon.

OUFC starting XI: Eastwood, Ruffels, Moore, Gorrin, Taylor, Long, Henry, McGuane, Atkinson, Obita, Kelly.

SUBS: Stevens, Hall, Sykes, Forde, Mousinho, Agyei, Shodipo.

STFC starting XI: Kovar, Caddis, Odimayo, Grounds, Baudry, Donohue,M Smith, A Grant, J Grant, Stevens, T Smith.

STFC subs: Fryer, Jaiyesimi, Payne, Curran, Hunt, Haines, Broadbent