FORMER on-loan striker Jerry Yates scored once as Swindon Town were beaten 2-0 by Blackpool at the County Ground on Good Friday.

An even first half threatened to end goalless, but a wonderful volley from Ellis Simms nudged the Tangerines in front just before the break.

Yates then doubled his side’s tally for the day in the second half as Blackpool claimed the double over John Sheridan’s men via a repeat of September’s win at Bloomfield Road.

Despite the defeat, favourable results elsewhere ensured Swindon remained outside the bottom four and in 20th – one point above the dotted line ahead of a vital trip to Burton Albion on Easter Monday. Town made one change to the side that edged past Bristol Rovers over a week ago. The ineffectual Joel Grant dropped to the bench and was replaced by Jordon Garrick.

For Blackpool, former Town favourite Jerry Yates lined up from the start while ex-loanee Dan Ballard had to make do with a spot on the bench.

Although Blackpool had the more formidable form coming into the game, it was Town who had the best chance to open the scoring early on. Garrick won the ball back on halfway and broke away down the right.

His cross was slightly pulled back towards Pitman, but the Town striker never looked settled as he stretched for the ball and poked it just wide with his left from around the penalty spot.

It wasn’t until the 15th minute before Neil Critchley’s side finally made a meaningful move towards goal. A quick pass through to Yates saw the striker take one touch out of his feet before a timely interception from Akin Odimayo forced a corner.

As the two sides traded blows, Garrick - who started really well - put another low cross in towards Twine. As the Town man pulled the trigger, a Blackpool defender nipped in just in time to clear away.

Yates was denied once again midway through the first half after good friend Anthony Grant blocked a powerful shot inside the box.

Minutes after Elliot Embleton blasted well off target from 25 yards, good work from Sullay Kaikai allowed a dangerous cross to come in from the left. Grant headed away, but it was only towards Grant Ward who acrobatically volleyed just wide.

A pretty uneventful game was in dire need of some help to kickstart it, and it finally got it courtesy of a wonderful strike from Simms just before the break.

Jordan Lawrence-Gabriel knocked a ball down the right channel for Simms to race onto, and when Ellis Iandolo got caught the wrong side of his marker and Camp got caught in no man's land, Simms volleyed emphatically into the far corner to give his side the lead.

The second half started in particularly drab fashion without a chance for either side until the hour mark. And when a chance did come, it turned into a goal as the ex-Town man Yates tucked home his team’s second of the afternoon.

A long ball forward appeared to catch Yates offside, but the linesman kept his flag down and the Tangerines striker simply rounded Camp before tapping home with his left.

Attempting to immediately respond, Jack Payne was presented with a good chance for Swindon, but his left footed strike was brilliantly saved by Chris Maxwell in the Blackpool goal.

With two goals already in the bank, Critchley’s men looked in the mood to add to their tally and improve on the scoreline with which they beat Town at the start of the season.

Yates was fed once again, and as he tried to take on Grant, a lucky bounce saw the chance open up. But Yates snatched at the chance and slashed well off target from the edge of the box.

Pitman and Yates saw further chances go to waste before Sheridan made a quadruple substitution with 20 minutes to go in the search for a reaction from his team. Paul Caddis, Dom Thompson, Scott Twine and Pitman all came off to be replaced by Tyler Smith, Jonathan Grounds, Hallam Hope and Joel Grant.

With 10 minutes of normal time to go, Embleton almost produced a sensational third goal for Blackpool. He danced around tackles from Palmer, Anthony Grant and Odimayo before cutting back onto his right and curling off target from the edge of the box.

Just prior to added time being shown, Town saw half-hearted penalty claims waved away after Iandolo jinked in between two Blackpool defenders. The referee was not interested, and that signalled the hosts’ final venture into Blackpool’s box.

STFC starting XI: Camp, Caddis, Pitman, Twine, Garrick, Iandolo, Odimayo, Payne, Palmer, Thompson, Grant.

SUBS: Grounds, Smith, Grant, Curran, Omotoye, Matthews, Hope.

BFC starting XI: Maxwell, Lawrence-Gabriel, Yates, Kaikai, Dougall, Ward, Simms, Turton, Gretarsson, Garbutt, Embleton.

SUBS: Thorniley, Robson, Mitchell, Antwi, Ballard, Moore, Apter.