CORSHAM Town manager Justin Flowers was left feeling relieved after his side survived a late scare to pick up a 2-1 win against Bishops Lydeard in Toolstation League Division One on Saturday.

With Corsham dominating the ball and the chances, the game remained goalless at the break, and Flowers feared another frustrating result against a team his side were expected to beat.

Lydeard stayed strong at the back until Town’s Josh Bright managed to break the deadlock with less than 10 minutes to play.

Corsham thought they had secured the points with four minutes remaining as a superb counter-attacking goal was finished off by Adam Shipman, but the visitors halved the deficit in the dying embers of the game to set up a nervy bout of stoppage time.

Corsham held on, though, and Flowers praised his side for staying patient and grinding out the result when they had previously been unsuccessful in similar situations already this season.

He said: “We’ve had performances like that against teams lower down in the league before where it hasn’t quite happened.

“In the first half, it looked like it might go that way again. We didn’t play as well as we did against Calne in the previous game, but I felt we had done enough to be ahead.

“In the second half, we made a couple of changes, got the two goals and we thought that was it, but they’ve scored quite late to make it a bit nerve-wracking at the end.

“We deserved to win, so it was good to get it over the line when we played like that as we have struggled to pick up wins against teams like that before.”

Elsewhere in Division One, Calne Town’s hopes of a top-three finish took a significant blow as they lost 3-1 at home to Wells City.

Wells took the lead after half-an-hour before being reduced to 10 men shortly before the interval.

Stuart Windsor equalised on the hour before two further goals consigned Calne to their first home defeat since August 18.

After Saturday’s result, Wells are now able to overtake Calne if they win their game in hand over Ben Redford’s side.

Meanwhile, Devizes Town endured a miserable afternoon on Saturday as they lost 5-0 at home to second-placed Keynsham Town, while also ending the game with 10 men.

With Keynsham leading 1-0, Devizes were afforded the opportunity to equalise from the spot, but the penalty was saved, and the miss signalled the direction Devizes’ day was heading.

Two more Keynsham goals followed before Jack Hopper was sent off for a late challenge, increasing the difficulty of the task ahead for Devizes.

Keynsham’s fourth preceded an own goal late on to increase the misery on Devizes and make it back-to-back losses for Darran Walters’ side.

Warminster Town and Chippenham Park were without fixtures at the weekend.