AFTER back-to-back defeats, Sutton Benger got back to winning ways in Dorset & Wilts One North with a dominant 39-8 success at home to Trowbridge 2nd.

Despite playing against the wind in the first half, Benger struck first when George Dent crashed through the Trowbridge defence, with Callum Harford adding the extras as well as a penalty shortly afterwards.

The hosts’ next try came when a well-worked backs move saw Alex Blackmore run free to the whitewash, converted by Harford.

Benger’s defensive line was resolute throughout and prevented Trowbridge creating any real chances in the first half, with their only points coming from a penalty.

Harford responded with a penalty of his own to make it 20-3 to the hosts at the break.

Benger continued to hold the upper hand after the break and Charlie Kingsley’s powerful run was rewarded with a try, converted by Harford.

After Trowbridge got their first try of the day, Benger's bonus-point score came after a series of pick and goes close to the line, with Ben Hooper the man to dive over.

Harford added the kick before scoring the last of the home side’s tries following a maul off the back of a lineout, and although he missed the conversion to surrender a 100 per cent day from the tee, the win was all that mattered to Benger.

Meanwhile, Minety were unable to halt runaway leaders Combe Down’s march towards an unbeaten season as they went down 43-7 at home.

Minety got off to the worst possible start, conceding the opening try in just the fourth minute, before another converted try soon afterwards made it 14-0 just two minutes later.

The home side’s task was not helped when Jay Thompson departed to injury midway through the first half and Combe Down were able to run in two more tries before half-time.

The league leaders were the first to score after the break, with a fifth try pushing the cushion to 31-0.

Combe Down’s sixth try came via a rolling maul and there was further bad news for the home side as Kieran Tillotson was lost to injury.

At 36-0 down, Minety began to fight back, and although Dave Cooke was held up on the line, the ball came back captain Andrew Hibbard and he broke a tackle to register a well-deserved try for Minety, which James Nicksen converted.

Deep into injury time, and with the home team down to 13 players due to injuries, Combe Down registered their seventh try to wrap up the win and give the scoreline a somewhat flattering look.

There were also tough days for Pewsey Vale and Calne as they suffered heavy defeats as well.

Pewsey were crushed 57-10 at Melksham, while Calne fell 38-7 at Royal Wootton Bassett 2nd.