ZAK Mitchell struck a 90th-minute winner as Calne Town completed a late comeback to beat Sherborne Town 2-1 last Saturday and remain top of the Toolstation League Division One table, writes JONATHAN LEIGHFIELD.

Stuart Windsor headed in from a corner two minutes from time before Mitchell’s first goal for the club secured all three points for the Bremhill View outfit.

Calne made a strong start at Raleigh Grove but could not find that elusive first goal before Sherborne were reduced to 10 men shortly before the break.

Despite the numerical advantage, the Lilywhites found themselves trailing in the early stages of the second half.

With time running out and performance levels waning, striker Windsor equalised before the left-back Mitchell turned into the unlikely hero.

Calne joint-manager Ben Redford was left frustrated at watching his team unable to find the net in the first 45 minutes despite dominating before a poorer display yielded two goals late on.

Redford said: “It was a strange one because we played really well in the first half but we couldn’t score.

“In the second half, Sherborne made it hard for us. They sat back and were a threat on the counter-attack.

“They got a goal and then we hit the post. We had chances which were just not going in, and I thought maybe it was going to be one of those days.

“But once we got the equaliser, I was happy to take a point. Then we got a corner and somehow we nicked it at the end.

“Maybe some things are just meant to be.”

Elsewhere, Corsham Town were also 2-1 winners away from home against Bishop Sutton – Nick Chandler and Lewis McCarron netted the vital goals for Justin Flowers’ men.

Goalkeeper David Cardus made up for an error for Sutton’s goal by making a superb reaction save in the dying moments to ensure the scoreline remained at 2-1.

Devizes let a one-goal lead slip as they went down 2-1 away at Welton Rovers – Chris Allen’s seventh-minute strike was merely a consolation for Darren Walters’ men.

Meanwhile in the Premier Division, Westbury United lost 2-0 away to Clevedon Town.