Charlie Austin got his second goal of the season inside two minutes to keep Swindon Town’s unbeaten record intact with a 2-0 win over Walsall.

Austin's early header saw Swindon take the lead into the break after an opening 45 minutes in which neither side created a plethora of chances.

Tom Knowles saw red mid-way through the second half after a pair of fouls on George McEachran before Rushian Hepburn-Murphy wrapped up the points late on.

Claiming all three points means Town are without defeat in their opening seven league games of the league season and have also moved into the automatic promotion places.

Michael Flynn made just one change from the side that beat Sutton United 5-3 last Saturday as Saidou Khan came straight back into the team after being on international duty in place of Jake Cain. But, the former Sadler Liam Kinsella was unable to return to the squad after a late fitness test.

This Is Wiltshire: Charlie Austin rises highest to nod in the opener inside two minutesCharlie Austin rises highest to nod in the opener inside two minutes (Image: Callum Knowles)

The game was not level for long as Remeao Hutton got down the right and, just like it was last season all over again, picked out Austin with the cross and he made no mistake with his header. Rising highest and heading back across the goalkeeper to open the scoring.

After 23 minutes Udoka Godwin-Malife drove Swindon forward down the right, he exchanged passes with Hutton and Den Kemp, before Austin was played in behind. He clipped a lovely cross towards Jake Young, but he could not quite make contact and the ball ran out to the near touchline.

Sloppy play from Swindon presented Walsall with a good opportunity as Tariq Uwakwe and Tom Brewitt left the ball for each other on the corner of the penalty area. Tom Knowles nipped in and got a shot off early, which Murphy Mahoney pushed over the bar to give the visitors a corner.

This Is Wiltshire: Murphy Mahoney was forced into a good stop to deny Freddie DraperMurphy Mahoney was forced into a good stop to deny Freddie Draper (Image: Andy Crooks)

Walsall had another big chance before the break as Liam Gordon got behind Swindon to the by-line by the goal and pulled the ball back to Freddie Draper. The striker deflected an effort on target from close range, only for Mahoney to get down and make a strong save, pushing the ball out to safety.

Swindon had the lead heading into the dressing rooms, but would have been disappointed not to have created more opportunities against a side hoping to frustrate them.

This Is Wiltshire: Only Austin's goal separated the sides at the breakOnly Austin's goal separated the sides at the break (Image: Andy Crooks)

Just after the break Hutton and Kemp combined down the right and created space for the latter on the corner of the box. Kemp clipped a cross towards the back post, but Austin and Jake Young were both just unable to get on the end of it.

Austin nearly had his and Town’s second when he found space centrally 20 yards out. He got the ball out of his feet and his low drive whistled just wide of the right-hand post.

On the hour mark some cut and thrust play saw Isaac Hutchinson given some freedom to drive towards the edge of the area, he looked to try his luck from range but got under the ball and sent it well over Mahoney’s goal.

Godwin-Malife and Brewitt both left the ball for each other on the halfway line, allowing Danny Johnson to steal in. He played the ball back to Ross Tierney who tried to find Johnson again in behind, but Saidou Khan motored back and made the clearance.

This Is Wiltshire: Dan Kemp looked to get Swindon a second goalDan Kemp looked to get Swindon a second goal (Image: Andy Crooks)

After 65 minutes Dan Kemp whipped a corner into the middle that dropped to Frazer Blake-Tracy, he looked to volley it at goal, but it went straight at Owen Evans.

Knowles was then dismissed for two yellow cards in quick succession for a pair of nasty tackles on George McEachran.

Hepburn-Murphy could have made an instant impact as he chased after a short back pass, but Owen Evans rushed out of his goal and just beat him to the ball before managing to clear.

This Is Wiltshire: Tom Brewitt celebrates as Swindon extended their unbeaten run to sevenTom Brewitt celebrates as Swindon extended their unbeaten run to seven (Image: Andy Crooks)

Dan Kemp laid the ball off to McEachran and he had a dig from 30 yards out, Evans pushed the ball out but the attack continued and Tyrese Shade fired narrowly wide of the near post.

With two minutes remaining, Swindon rubber stamped the three points. Walsall tried to be too cute too close to their own goal and Young stole the ball off the toes of Evans. He laid it off to Hepburn-Murphy who tapped into the empty net.

This Is Wiltshire: Rushian Hepburn-Murphy sealed the points lateRushian Hepburn-Murphy sealed the points late (Image: Callum Knowles)

STFC starting XI: Mahoney, Hutton, Blake-Tracy, McEachran, Young, Khan, Kemp, Brewitt, Uwakwe, Godwin-Malife, Austin.

STFC subs: L. Ward, B. Ward, Hepburn-Murphy, Genesini, Cain, Shade, Minturn.

WFC starting XI: Evans, Gordon, McEntee, Daniels, Farquharson, Hutchinson, Knowles, Draper, Allen, Stirk, Tierney.

WFC subs: Smith, Okagbue, Riley, Matt, James-Taylor, Oteh, Johnson.

Attendance: 9,131 (641 away)