Swindon Town were made to settle for a point at Salford City after conceding a last-gasp equaliser to make it 2-2.

Salford raced into an early lead through Ethan Ingram before Remeao Hutton got the game level at the break with his first goal in the Football League.

Charlie Austin thought he had won it with a late penalty before Liam Humbles made Swindon settle for a point in stoppage time.

Town have still never lost at the Peninsular Stadium and the point keeps them in the League Two play-off places.

Michael Flynn opted to stick with the same starting 11 which got Swindon back to winning ways last weekend against Newport County. Jake Cain returned to the bench following his injury in place of Tariq Uwakwe, who now faces a spell on the sidelines after picking up an injury of his own.

This Is Wiltshire: Salford made a fast start to the gameSalford made a fast start to the game (Image: Callum Knowles)

Swindon were made to sweat straight from the off as a series of passes on the edge of the area saw Ingram allowed space on the top of the box, but he pulled his shot wide to the left.

Salford had made the better start and took the lead early as after just seven minutes they worked the ball quickly down the right and Ingram made an inside run into the area and this time he punished Town by finishing low across Murphy Mahoney.

The hosts could have doubled their lead moments later as Matt Smith won a header to get Luke Bolton in behind, he attempted to flick the ball beyond Mahoney, but got too much on it and sent the ball wide.

This Is Wiltshire: Swindon grew into the game as it went alongSwindon grew into the game as it went along (Image: Callum Knowles)

After a rocky opening, Swindon got themselves level from a set piece as Tyrese Shade passed a corner to Hutton on the edge of the area. The full-back side-footed the ball first time low, hard, and beyond Alex Cairns. That goal was also Hutton’s first for the club.

Loose play at the back from Town presented Smith with an opportunity as he picked up the ball just inside the Swindon half and spotted Mahoney off his line. The veteran striker looked to dink the ball over his head, but he got his angles wrong and sent his shot well wide.

This Is Wiltshire: Hutton got his first EFL goalHutton got his first EFL goal (Image: Callum Knowles)

After 25 minutes Charlie Austin hit a magnificent switch out to Hutton in space on the right. He took the ball down and sent a tantalising cross into the middle, which Jake Young got his head to, but he could not divert the ball on target.

Just after the half-hour mark Tyrese Shade got the beating of Ingram and cut onto his right foot on the edge of the area, he unleashed a vicious shot at the near post, but Cairns got down well to deny him.

After the Ammies were the quickest out the blocks, Swindon were the side that were disappointed to hear the half-time whistle blow as they had taken control of proceedings. It was all Salford could do to go into the break level after bravely defending a string of corners.

In the first minute of the second half Luke Bolton was played through with a surgical low ball from the back. The wide man got beyond Frazer Blake-Tracy and tried to test Mahoney at his near post, but the goalkeeper made a fine stop.

Half-time substitute Stevie Mallan received the ball in space 25 yards from goal. He set himself and fired a venomous strike which a small deflection took over the crossbar.

This Is Wiltshire: Minturn had to replace BrewittMinturn had to replace Brewitt (Image: Callum Knowles)

Harrison Minturn judged a pass well to intercept and then quickly played Austin into the area. The striker looked to try a snapshot, but Cairns got down quickly to make the save. Seconds later Salford gave the ball away deep in their own territory and Rushian Hepburn-Murphy had an effort that was blocked.

Town were ramping up the pressure as Dan Kemp was afforded space to counter and played the ball into Hepburn-Murphy. He chopped inside the defender, who slipped over, and looked to finish but was denied by Cairns.

This Is Wiltshire: Swindon ramped up the pressure during the second halfSwindon ramped up the pressure during the second half (Image: Callum Knowles)

With time ticking away, Hepburn-Murphy was barged over in the box by Curtis Tilt, who saw red for his challenge. Austin stepped up and confidently dispatched his spot-kick beyond Cairns, despite the goalkeeper diving the right way.

Deep into stoppage time, Salford earned a point as Humbles smashed in a volley from close range.

SCFC starting XI: Cairns, Ingram, John, Mariappa, Watt, Watson, Lund, Tilt, Smith, Bolton, Garbutt.

SCFC substitutes: Wright, Mallan, Shephard, Dackers, Pedro, Humbles, Olopade.

STFC starting XI: Mahoney, Hutton, Blake-Tracy, McEachran, Young, Khan, Kemp, Brewitt, Shade, Godwin-Malife, Austin.

STFC substitutes: L. Ward, Clayton, Hepburn-Murphy, Cain, Kinsella, Minturn, Obodo.

Attendance: 2,523 (518 away).