Villagers speak out over bid to build 2,600 homes

This Is Wiltshire: Residents study the plan at a consultation held last month Residents study the plan at a consultation held last month

WANBOROUGH residents remain unconvinced by plans to build 2,600 new homes at nearby Lotmead Farm after a presentation by developers.

More than 20 residents attended a parish council meeting when 10 experts from Ainscough Strategic Land put forward their proposals for the land to the south of the A420, as part of the wider Eastern Villages development.

Ainscough has not yet submitted a planning application, but should plans go ahead it would create two new villages – Earlscourt and Lower Earlscourt – plus a primary school, playing fields, allotments and other infrastructure near Lotmead Farm.

But this would only take place after around 200 homes had already been built on the site, sparking residents’ concerns about what services new residents would use before the dedicated school and roads are created.

Gary Sumner, chairman of the parish council, said: “They say they will build schools for the local area, but that won’t be until five years after the first 200 houses are built. They haven’t asked the primary schools in Covingham and Wanborough if they have the capacity for that.

“Even when the new schools are built, parents will already have established patterns of behaviour where they drive their children to school and won’t want to change that.

“Our main concern is that we have been working with Swindon Council on this for several years and it was agreed there would be no use of the Wanborough Road and that the development’s access road would be via the South Connector Road.

“But the people who will live in these first 200 homes will want access to the M4, and so they will go through Wanborough to reach it.

“We’ve always been supportive of development in Swindon but have always been very clear it needs to have the correct infrastructure.”

Philip Poole, 59, of Stanley Close, has lived with his family in Wanbor-ough for 15 years.

He said of the presentation: “It was badly planned, badly presented and badly flawed. Not once did they mention how the proposals would impact the village of Wanborough.

“When they build those 200 houses the construction traffic will have no choice but to come through the village because of the weight restriction in Covingham.

“But until they come up with something that has far more detail and shows how it will link to the rest of the wider plan, and until they detail how it will be funded, then they will not get any approval from residents in Wanborough whatsoever.”

Paul Martin, MD of Ainscough Strategic Land, said of the meeting: “The one concern that those present specifically asked us to come back to them on was around mitigating any impact that the construction work would have on the village, residents and businesses.

“We are looking at how we can continue round-table discussions with the parish council, as well as with the many other stakeholders who are engaging very constructively with us. As part of the application, a Construction Management Plan will be produced to mitigate the potential impact of construction traffic.

“Any proposals for villages to the north will be required to provide connections to the wider north Eastern Villages. Our proposals will not include a vehicle connection between the wider Eastern Villages and Wanborough Road. This, together with other junction improvements, should reduce rat-running through Wanborough.”

Comments (1)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

11:18am Sat 2 Aug 14

John~R says...

It's not just the impact of the first 200 homes but the risk that once those are built then the developers will be asking to build another preliminary phase before all the infrastructure (largely the responsibility of others) is in place.

Swindon doesn't need more homes starting now. The local economy is still trying to recover from the last recession and developments started before then (eg Wichelstowe) are still only partly implemented.

It's not so much a case of letting the developers know what we think about the details of their proposals but the wider issue of the when the Eastern Villages will be needed and the supporting infrastructure built. Get the A420 to Oxford turned into dual carriageway all the way; fix the crossings of the A419, rebuild M4 junction 15; etc. These works are largely needed so the inhabitants of the Eastern Villages can easily commute to wherever the jobs are which, on current form, isn't likely to be in Swindon.
It's not just the impact of the first 200 homes but the risk that once those are built then the developers will be asking to build another preliminary phase before all the infrastructure (largely the responsibility of others) is in place. Swindon doesn't need more homes starting now. The local economy is still trying to recover from the last recession and developments started before then (eg Wichelstowe) are still only partly implemented. It's not so much a case of letting the developers know what we think about the details of their proposals but the wider issue of the when the Eastern Villages will be needed and the supporting infrastructure built. Get the A420 to Oxford turned into dual carriageway all the way; fix the crossings of the A419, rebuild M4 junction 15; etc. These works are largely needed so the inhabitants of the Eastern Villages can easily commute to wherever the jobs are which, on current form, isn't likely to be in Swindon. John~R
  • Score: 13

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree