Bruce Street Bridges roadworks could go on for a year

This Is Wiltshire: Roadworks could continue for a year around Bruce Street Bridges Roadworks could continue for a year around Bruce Street Bridges

ESSENTIAL maintenance to the Bruce Street Bridges is hitting motorists as work shifts around the pivotal roundabouts.

Congestion around Great Western Way and Akers Way has been backing up as Thames Water and Scottish and Southern Electricity continue improvements ahead of a full revamp from the council’s highways team.

Thames Water began work on Cheney Manor Road yesterday, closing the southbound route.

Peter Watts (Lab, Rodbourne Cheney), said disruptions could continue for 12 months.

“They are having to do the work in stages,” he said. “This is a programmed scheme for the next year. “At the moment they have electricity cables going in and Thames Water following putting in drainage relief for Rodbourne Cheney to try to bring down the flooding.

“Once that is finished the council will be coming in to reconfigure the roundabout.”

Bruce Street Bridges suffered from flooding during the recent downpours.

“For years the area has been suffering with surface water flooding,” said Coun Watts.

“They are going to put relief tanks in to try and solve that problem. There have also been problems with drainage all around Rodbourne Cheney because there is not enough capacity, so they are upgrading the sewers, as well as installing a pumping station.

“The problem is that this is the thoroughfare for Great Western Way, the through route across Swindon. “There is no other option, if we are going to cure the flooding problems it has to be done.

A spokesman for Thames Water said: “The latest phase of the Thames Water project will involve two new sewers being laid under the road to help reduce the risk of waste water flooding in the area.

“The work to the sewer system is vital to increase capacity in the network and reduce the risk of flooding for 15 properties.

Work to lay a new sewer behind properties in Rodbourne Road, along Iris Redman Gardens, finished last Saturday, re-opening a lane in the road that has been closed to allow parking for residents.

Lawrence Adams, Thames Water’s contracts manager, said: “We’re sorry for any inconvenience this essential work causes drivers.

“We’d like to thank residents for their patience during this part of the work, as they have been unable to use the garages behind their homes.

“We’re also very grateful to the BSS House business centre, who kindly made some of their parking spaces available to help.

“In lieu of payment for this, we are making a £500 donation to Prospect Hospice.”

A spokesman for Scottish and Southern Electricity said: “The work is a new underground supply which will increase supply. The work is due to be completed by the end of March. A Swindon Council spokesman said: “The council is planning to start a one year-long £8m scheme in June which will improve drainage in the area, and improve traffic flow and reduce queuing. “Before it starts there will be a drop-in information session for residents.

“The work will involve changing the Bruce Street Bridges junction to a single roundabout with peak-time traffic signals, a new traffic signal junction at Newcome Drive, and new independent drainage alongside the existing Thames Water system to reduce the risk of flooding.”

Comments (21)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

9:14am Wed 19 Feb 14

umpcah says...

I doubt that anyone who has driven through this area at busy times will dispute that improvements are essential . I just hope that the eventual solution proves to be more successful than the Fleming Way / Princes Street " solution " !
I doubt that anyone who has driven through this area at busy times will dispute that improvements are essential . I just hope that the eventual solution proves to be more successful than the Fleming Way / Princes Street " solution " ! umpcah
  • Score: 20

9:51am Wed 19 Feb 14

1 2 Could B says...

It won't be
It won't be 1 2 Could B
  • Score: -3

12:21pm Wed 19 Feb 14

GrumpyLocal says...

Their previous attempts to help, by reducing the east bound road under the bridge from The Great Western Way to Cheney Manor Road was ridiculous and actually caused a bigger bottleneck than before.
Their previous attempts to help, by reducing the east bound road under the bridge from The Great Western Way to Cheney Manor Road was ridiculous and actually caused a bigger bottleneck than before. GrumpyLocal
  • Score: 6

1:32pm Wed 19 Feb 14

house on the hill says...

The pedestrian crossings also cause problems and in the rush hour you can have upward of 50 cars at a standstill while just one pedestrian crosses the road. If they built a subway that would keep things moving a little better too.
The pedestrian crossings also cause problems and in the rush hour you can have upward of 50 cars at a standstill while just one pedestrian crosses the road. If they built a subway that would keep things moving a little better too. house on the hill
  • Score: 1

2:50pm Wed 19 Feb 14

richmatthews says...

Vicarage Road and Cheney Manor industrial estate have become totally grid-locked rat runs during peak times for people heading towards town and the M4 from North Swindon and with all of the expansion going on in North Swindon at present this is only going to get worse and I don't see how reformatting the Bruce Street Bridges roundabouts is going to help. What was really needed was a Thamesdown Drive relief road which could bring all of the traffic from North Swindon neatly onto Great Western Way and close to J16, but just like all of the other expansion plans in the area it seems to have been a case of shoehorning as many new builds in as possible with not a thought given to the extra infrastructure required. Notice how Thamesdown Drive is currently much busier because of the closure of Bailey's Corner.
Vicarage Road and Cheney Manor industrial estate have become totally grid-locked rat runs during peak times for people heading towards town and the M4 from North Swindon and with all of the expansion going on in North Swindon at present this is only going to get worse and I don't see how reformatting the Bruce Street Bridges roundabouts is going to help. What was really needed was a Thamesdown Drive relief road which could bring all of the traffic from North Swindon neatly onto Great Western Way and close to J16, but just like all of the other expansion plans in the area it seems to have been a case of shoehorning as many new builds in as possible with not a thought given to the extra infrastructure required. Notice how Thamesdown Drive is currently much busier because of the closure of Bailey's Corner. richmatthews
  • Score: 13

3:23pm Wed 19 Feb 14

ChannelX says...

house on the hill wrote:
The pedestrian crossings also cause problems and in the rush hour you can have upward of 50 cars at a standstill while just one pedestrian crosses the road. If they built a subway that would keep things moving a little better too.
Pedestrian crossings are, along with bus lanes, one of the biggest causes of congestion on urban roads.

Of course, underpasses and bridges would be far safer for everyone, don't cost much more to instal than a set of traffic lights and would keep traffic flowing.

No wonder they rarely do it.
[quote][p][bold]house on the hill[/bold] wrote: The pedestrian crossings also cause problems and in the rush hour you can have upward of 50 cars at a standstill while just one pedestrian crosses the road. If they built a subway that would keep things moving a little better too.[/p][/quote]Pedestrian crossings are, along with bus lanes, one of the biggest causes of congestion on urban roads. Of course, underpasses and bridges would be far safer for everyone, don't cost much more to instal than a set of traffic lights and would keep traffic flowing. No wonder they rarely do it. ChannelX
  • Score: 3

3:47pm Wed 19 Feb 14

Morsey says...

If there were under passes this Tory Council would fill them in anyway!! Whalebridge?
If there were under passes this Tory Council would fill them in anyway!! Whalebridge? Morsey
  • Score: -4

4:08pm Wed 19 Feb 14

nobody says...

ChannelX wrote:
house on the hill wrote:
The pedestrian crossings also cause problems and in the rush hour you can have upward of 50 cars at a standstill while just one pedestrian crosses the road. If they built a subway that would keep things moving a little better too.
Pedestrian crossings are, along with bus lanes, one of the biggest causes of congestion on urban roads.

Of course, underpasses and bridges would be far safer for everyone, don't cost much more to instal than a set of traffic lights and would keep traffic flowing.

No wonder they rarely do it.
The biggest cause if congestion is the private motor car.
Any improvement will be short lived.
[quote][p][bold]ChannelX[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]house on the hill[/bold] wrote: The pedestrian crossings also cause problems and in the rush hour you can have upward of 50 cars at a standstill while just one pedestrian crosses the road. If they built a subway that would keep things moving a little better too.[/p][/quote]Pedestrian crossings are, along with bus lanes, one of the biggest causes of congestion on urban roads. Of course, underpasses and bridges would be far safer for everyone, don't cost much more to instal than a set of traffic lights and would keep traffic flowing. No wonder they rarely do it.[/p][/quote]The biggest cause if congestion is the private motor car. Any improvement will be short lived. nobody
  • Score: -3

4:34pm Wed 19 Feb 14

umpcah says...

Underpasses are a favourite suggestion aren`t they ? However they provide havens for perverts , muggers and " courting couples " . Not to mention the probability of occasional flooding !
Underpasses are a favourite suggestion aren`t they ? However they provide havens for perverts , muggers and " courting couples " . Not to mention the probability of occasional flooding ! umpcah
  • Score: 1

4:43pm Wed 19 Feb 14

ChannelX says...

nobody wrote:
ChannelX wrote:
house on the hill wrote:
The pedestrian crossings also cause problems and in the rush hour you can have upward of 50 cars at a standstill while just one pedestrian crosses the road. If they built a subway that would keep things moving a little better too.
Pedestrian crossings are, along with bus lanes, one of the biggest causes of congestion on urban roads.

Of course, underpasses and bridges would be far safer for everyone, don't cost much more to instal than a set of traffic lights and would keep traffic flowing.

No wonder they rarely do it.
The biggest cause if congestion is the private motor car.
Any improvement will be short lived.
Not the case.

If cars were allowed to travel freely, there would be very little congestion. It is when obstacles are put in the way that the problems start.

Just take a look at somewhere like Mannington Roundabout when the lights are operational and when they're not.
[quote][p][bold]nobody[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]ChannelX[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]house on the hill[/bold] wrote: The pedestrian crossings also cause problems and in the rush hour you can have upward of 50 cars at a standstill while just one pedestrian crosses the road. If they built a subway that would keep things moving a little better too.[/p][/quote]Pedestrian crossings are, along with bus lanes, one of the biggest causes of congestion on urban roads. Of course, underpasses and bridges would be far safer for everyone, don't cost much more to instal than a set of traffic lights and would keep traffic flowing. No wonder they rarely do it.[/p][/quote]The biggest cause if congestion is the private motor car. Any improvement will be short lived.[/p][/quote]Not the case. If cars were allowed to travel freely, there would be very little congestion. It is when obstacles are put in the way that the problems start. Just take a look at somewhere like Mannington Roundabout when the lights are operational and when they're not. ChannelX
  • Score: 2

5:14pm Wed 19 Feb 14

trustnopolitician says...

Proper traffic management in Swindon non existant . SBC trafiic management slogan should be " how much chaos can we cause today"

The current problems should have been foreseen years ago when the major roads were being built.

I admit I was going to Rodbourne road this morning but I chickened out with the traffic and the badly signed diversion the way it was ,
Proper traffic management in Swindon non existant . SBC trafiic management slogan should be " how much chaos can we cause today" The current problems should have been foreseen years ago when the major roads were being built. I admit I was going to Rodbourne road this morning but I chickened out with the traffic and the badly signed diversion the way it was , trustnopolitician
  • Score: 1

5:19pm Wed 19 Feb 14

The Zax says...

There should be a public enquiry, if not a Royal Commission, to investigate the impact of bridges on our society. Clearly bridges have their benefits: Pooh-sticks, bungee jumping etc., but think of the harm they do! Blighting the landscape, reducing double decker buses to singles, falling hazards. They are simply an anomalous carbuncle on our safety-conscious age.

Dismantling the bridges and using the rubble to reinforce our fragile coastal defences would go a long way towards protecting us from the ravages of climate change.

The first step, obviously, is to get some T-shirts printed. "Ban The Bridges" or similar. This will cost a fair bit so there will need to be a charity fundraiser. Local bands are used to playing for peanuts or less, so will surely put on a show for a free item of underwear. I'm counting on our friendly Adver to get 100% behind this campaign, so keep your eyes on the front page, readers!
There should be a public enquiry, if not a Royal Commission, to investigate the impact of bridges on our society. Clearly bridges have their benefits: Pooh-sticks, bungee jumping etc., but think of the harm they do! Blighting the landscape, reducing double decker buses to singles, falling hazards. They are simply an anomalous carbuncle on our safety-conscious age. Dismantling the bridges and using the rubble to reinforce our fragile coastal defences would go a long way towards protecting us from the ravages of climate change. The first step, obviously, is to get some T-shirts printed. "Ban The Bridges" or similar. This will cost a fair bit so there will need to be a charity fundraiser. Local bands are used to playing for peanuts or less, so will surely put on a show for a free item of underwear. I'm counting on our friendly Adver to get 100% behind this campaign, so keep your eyes on the front page, readers! The Zax
  • Score: -3

5:31pm Wed 19 Feb 14

Davey Gravey says...

Too many cars on roads not suitable for so much traffic. Blaming pedestrian crossings is lunacy.
Too many cars on roads not suitable for so much traffic. Blaming pedestrian crossings is lunacy. Davey Gravey
  • Score: -3

7:09pm Wed 19 Feb 14

red manc says...

not surprised it will take a year with hg long doing the groundworks
not surprised it will take a year with hg long doing the groundworks red manc
  • Score: 0

9:10pm Wed 19 Feb 14

house on the hill says...

Davey Gravey wrote:
Too many cars on roads not suitable for so much traffic. Blaming pedestrian crossings is lunacy.
Idiot, of course it is relevant. pedestrians always cause jams that;s why you don't see any on major roads because they slow traffic flow down. If you cant see that there is no hope for you.
[quote][p][bold]Davey Gravey[/bold] wrote: Too many cars on roads not suitable for so much traffic. Blaming pedestrian crossings is lunacy.[/p][/quote]Idiot, of course it is relevant. pedestrians always cause jams that;s why you don't see any on major roads because they slow traffic flow down. If you cant see that there is no hope for you. house on the hill
  • Score: 4

9:37pm Wed 19 Feb 14

Davey Gravey says...

house on the hill wrote:
Davey Gravey wrote:
Too many cars on roads not suitable for so much traffic. Blaming pedestrian crossings is lunacy.
Idiot, of course it is relevant. pedestrians always cause jams that;s why you don't see any on major roads because they slow traffic flow down. If you cant see that there is no hope for you.
Lol. If you cannot see that there are traffic jams due to the sheer weight of traffic over anything else then it is you that have no hope. Its not as if these crossings have streams of people following each other pressing the buttons continually. The crossings have been there years unlike the ever growing number of cars on the roads.
[quote][p][bold]house on the hill[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Davey Gravey[/bold] wrote: Too many cars on roads not suitable for so much traffic. Blaming pedestrian crossings is lunacy.[/p][/quote]Idiot, of course it is relevant. pedestrians always cause jams that;s why you don't see any on major roads because they slow traffic flow down. If you cant see that there is no hope for you.[/p][/quote]Lol. If you cannot see that there are traffic jams due to the sheer weight of traffic over anything else then it is you that have no hope. Its not as if these crossings have streams of people following each other pressing the buttons continually. The crossings have been there years unlike the ever growing number of cars on the roads. Davey Gravey
  • Score: -3

5:36am Thu 20 Feb 14

ChannelX says...

If there is nothing to prevent traffic from moving, it will move freely until such time as there are cars lined up from end to end from wherever you start your journey to wherever you end it - which, of course, will never happen.

Pedestrian crossings are one of the factors that prevent traffic from moving freely. Ever tried driving along Drove Road during peak times? It's not the number of vehicles that causes the congestion, it's the 3 lots of traffic light crossings within a 1000ft distance and then the four sets of traffic lights deliberately placed around the Magic Roundabout (in order to make it more dangerous) that cause the problem.

Only a person without the ability to see, or a fool, would attempt to try and deny it.
If there is nothing to prevent traffic from moving, it will move freely until such time as there are cars lined up from end to end from wherever you start your journey to wherever you end it - which, of course, will never happen. Pedestrian crossings are one of the factors that prevent traffic from moving freely. Ever tried driving along Drove Road during peak times? It's not the number of vehicles that causes the congestion, it's the 3 lots of traffic light crossings within a 1000ft distance and then the four sets of traffic lights deliberately placed around the Magic Roundabout (in order to make it more dangerous) that cause the problem. Only a person without the ability to see, or a fool, would attempt to try and deny it. ChannelX
  • Score: 3

9:11am Thu 20 Feb 14

nobody says...

ChannelX wrote:
nobody wrote:
ChannelX wrote:
house on the hill wrote:
The pedestrian crossings also cause problems and in the rush hour you can have upward of 50 cars at a standstill while just one pedestrian crosses the road. If they built a subway that would keep things moving a little better too.
Pedestrian crossings are, along with bus lanes, one of the biggest causes of congestion on urban roads.

Of course, underpasses and bridges would be far safer for everyone, don't cost much more to instal than a set of traffic lights and would keep traffic flowing.

No wonder they rarely do it.
The biggest cause if congestion is the private motor car.
Any improvement will be short lived.
Not the case.

If cars were allowed to travel freely, there would be very little congestion. It is when obstacles are put in the way that the problems start.

Just take a look at somewhere like Mannington Roundabout when the lights are operational and when they're not.
Complete rubbish, the road network is fine outside of rush hour because there are less cars.
Just look at this week, school holidays and the traffic seems to be moving fairly freely.
All points to too many cars on roads not designed to handle so much traffic, 50% of it drivers driving less than 5 miles, that is within Swindon.
[quote][p][bold]ChannelX[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]nobody[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]ChannelX[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]house on the hill[/bold] wrote: The pedestrian crossings also cause problems and in the rush hour you can have upward of 50 cars at a standstill while just one pedestrian crosses the road. If they built a subway that would keep things moving a little better too.[/p][/quote]Pedestrian crossings are, along with bus lanes, one of the biggest causes of congestion on urban roads. Of course, underpasses and bridges would be far safer for everyone, don't cost much more to instal than a set of traffic lights and would keep traffic flowing. No wonder they rarely do it.[/p][/quote]The biggest cause if congestion is the private motor car. Any improvement will be short lived.[/p][/quote]Not the case. If cars were allowed to travel freely, there would be very little congestion. It is when obstacles are put in the way that the problems start. Just take a look at somewhere like Mannington Roundabout when the lights are operational and when they're not.[/p][/quote]Complete rubbish, the road network is fine outside of rush hour because there are less cars. Just look at this week, school holidays and the traffic seems to be moving fairly freely. All points to too many cars on roads not designed to handle so much traffic, 50% of it drivers driving less than 5 miles, that is within Swindon. nobody
  • Score: 0

10:31am Thu 20 Feb 14

ChannelX says...

nobody wrote:
ChannelX wrote:
nobody wrote:
ChannelX wrote:
house on the hill wrote:
The pedestrian crossings also cause problems and in the rush hour you can have upward of 50 cars at a standstill while just one pedestrian crosses the road. If they built a subway that would keep things moving a little better too.
Pedestrian crossings are, along with bus lanes, one of the biggest causes of congestion on urban roads.

Of course, underpasses and bridges would be far safer for everyone, don't cost much more to instal than a set of traffic lights and would keep traffic flowing.

No wonder they rarely do it.
The biggest cause if congestion is the private motor car.
Any improvement will be short lived.
Not the case.

If cars were allowed to travel freely, there would be very little congestion. It is when obstacles are put in the way that the problems start.

Just take a look at somewhere like Mannington Roundabout when the lights are operational and when they're not.
Complete rubbish, the road network is fine outside of rush hour because there are less cars.
Just look at this week, school holidays and the traffic seems to be moving fairly freely.
All points to too many cars on roads not designed to handle so much traffic, 50% of it drivers driving less than 5 miles, that is within Swindon.
You've not noticed that school children need to use pedestrian crossing during rush hour?

As you've just pointed out yourself, when there aren't people continually hitting the red light button on crossings, traffic flows relatively freely.

The road network would actually work OK during peak times were it not for traffic lights bus lanes, lorries and pedestrian crossings.

There aren't 'too many cars on the road' at all. As others have said, look at any dual-carriage way around Swindon, they all flow completely freely until you hit a roundabout controlled by traffic lights, regardless of the time of day.

Your own final statistic also highlights the problem - the very areas that most drivers use for the majority of the time are those areas that are crammed with traffic light controlled pedestrian crossings.

Ever tried using Great Western Way on a Saturday? It's ALWAYS congested... why? Because more than average numbers of people are using the numerous traffic light controlled pedestrian crossings. If it wasn't for the traffic being held up for 60 to 90 seconds at a time every other minute, the traffic would flow freely.
[quote][p][bold]nobody[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]ChannelX[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]nobody[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]ChannelX[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]house on the hill[/bold] wrote: The pedestrian crossings also cause problems and in the rush hour you can have upward of 50 cars at a standstill while just one pedestrian crosses the road. If they built a subway that would keep things moving a little better too.[/p][/quote]Pedestrian crossings are, along with bus lanes, one of the biggest causes of congestion on urban roads. Of course, underpasses and bridges would be far safer for everyone, don't cost much more to instal than a set of traffic lights and would keep traffic flowing. No wonder they rarely do it.[/p][/quote]The biggest cause if congestion is the private motor car. Any improvement will be short lived.[/p][/quote]Not the case. If cars were allowed to travel freely, there would be very little congestion. It is when obstacles are put in the way that the problems start. Just take a look at somewhere like Mannington Roundabout when the lights are operational and when they're not.[/p][/quote]Complete rubbish, the road network is fine outside of rush hour because there are less cars. Just look at this week, school holidays and the traffic seems to be moving fairly freely. All points to too many cars on roads not designed to handle so much traffic, 50% of it drivers driving less than 5 miles, that is within Swindon.[/p][/quote]You've not noticed that school children need to use pedestrian crossing during rush hour? As you've just pointed out yourself, when there aren't people continually hitting the red light button on crossings, traffic flows relatively freely. The road network would actually work OK during peak times were it not for traffic lights bus lanes, lorries and pedestrian crossings. There aren't 'too many cars on the road' at all. As others have said, look at any dual-carriage way around Swindon, they all flow completely freely until you hit a roundabout controlled by traffic lights, regardless of the time of day. Your own final statistic also highlights the problem - the very areas that most drivers use for the majority of the time are those areas that are crammed with traffic light controlled pedestrian crossings. Ever tried using Great Western Way on a Saturday? It's ALWAYS congested... why? Because more than average numbers of people are using the numerous traffic light controlled pedestrian crossings. If it wasn't for the traffic being held up for 60 to 90 seconds at a time every other minute, the traffic would flow freely. ChannelX
  • Score: 0

12:07pm Thu 20 Feb 14

twasadawf says...

Why a year? double shifts 7 days a week would be done in no time, the people/traders of swindon should kick up a stink and force those in charge that a year is unacceptable
Why a year? double shifts 7 days a week would be done in no time, the people/traders of swindon should kick up a stink and force those in charge that a year is unacceptable twasadawf
  • Score: 1

7:29pm Thu 20 Feb 14

Davey Gravey says...

CHANNELx- ringer - Oliver - TIM has blamed buses, lorries and pedestrians yet ignores the real reason, the growing number of cars on the road.
It really is that simple.
CHANNELx- ringer - Oliver - TIM has blamed buses, lorries and pedestrians yet ignores the real reason, the growing number of cars on the road. It really is that simple. Davey Gravey
  • Score: 2

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree