Never miss anything again. Sign up for our RSS news feeds and Newsletters.

Boro' Suffer As Parker Puts Them To The Sword

April 4, 2001 15:22: Ryman Premier Division

Heybridge Swifts 4 Harrow Borough 2

Swiftly returning to the everyday grind of Premier Divion survival, following last Tuesday's Middlesex cup semi-final victory over Hayes, Boro' remained in 18th place in the table after Saturday's defeat at Scraley Road, writes Tony Booth.

High flying Swifts are the division's third highest scorers, so keeping a clean sheet was never going to be an easy option in deepest Essex. As it turned out, the hosts' superior finishing proved crucial on the day.

There were two more new faces joining the Boro' line up, with Lee Broughton moving in from Arlesey Town and Leon Woodruffe coming in from Yeading.

On a sodden and bumpy pitch Harrow got off to a splendid start, opening the scoring within three minutes.

John Hurlock sent Woodruffe goalwards and he beat one lunging challenge before unleashing a powerful drive that beat home keeper Banks all ends up.

Once again Boro' found it impossible to hold on to their lead and the Swifts drew level six minutes later when Parker steered in a shot which went in off the far post.

Harrow then fell behind on 19 minutes, when Lee rounded Hook and slipped the ball in from a tight angle.

The game continued in an open fashion throughout, with chances a plenty at both ends. Broughton did well to head clear when the hosts threatened, whilst Fontenelle saw his shot saved.

On the half hour, Boro' were fortunate when Streely's header rebounded back from the crossbar, but were similarly unlucky when Woodruffe's cross led to Hurlock and Gavin being denied by a superb double save by the Swift's keeper.

The visitor's drew level in the 37th minute, when Fontenelle passed across the face of the defence and Carl Levene drove a 25 yard shot past the static keeper, and the teams went into the break on level terms.

The second half was a close affair with both teams going all out for the three points. It was the host who made the breakthrough and regained the lead with a 77th minute penalty, converted by Parker.

Harrow responded immediately and within a minute Woodruffe shot wide from Rose's cross. Joe Lyons also drove just over following a cross from sub Scott, before Swifts prolific striker Parker decided the match with his hat-trick in the 83rd minute.

Boro' had more than their fair share of possession in the second half but a combination of poor finishing and the excellence of home keeper Banks kept them from adding to their score.

Harrow: Hook, Rose, Protain, Lewis, Broughton, Walsh, Fontenelle (Bates), Levene, Gavin, Hurlock (Scott), Woodruffe (Lyons)

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree