Campaigners celebrate as councillors vote against Liden development

This Is Wiltshire: Alan Gaunt, right, with campaigners Alan Gaunt, right, with campaigners

CAMPAIGNERS were celebrating last night after councillors voted against plans to develop a derelict dental surgery into a house of multi occupancy.

Councillors on Swindon Council’s planning committee refused to grant permission for a property on Tryon Close, in Liden, to change its use into six bedsits.

This decision went against the advice of planning officers who had recommended the scheme for approval.

Concerns raised during the meeting included problems with parking, the neighbourhood suffering from an over development of the building and the appearance of the street being reduced by the removal of trees from outside the property.

Chairman of a residents’ steering group set up to oppose the application, Alan Gaunt, 61, said he was delighted with the council’s decision.

“I said before I was putting my faith in the elected members and I’m very pleased I have,” said Alan.

Comments (3)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

10:33am Wed 11 Dec 13

Ringer says...

I feel a little sorry for Mr Gaunt.


This decision went against the advice of planning officers who had recommended the scheme for approval.


Which means the developer will appeal the decision with the Planning Inspectorate in Bristol and, thanks to Labour's John Prescott, will win that appeal and be granted permission to continue with their plans.

It's a travesty, of course, but that's what we've come to expect from Labour's policies - which are still blighting this country almost four years since we rather sensibly booted them out of government.

NEVER AGAIN.
I feel a little sorry for Mr Gaunt. [quote] This decision went against the advice of planning officers who had recommended the scheme for approval. [/quote] Which means the developer will appeal the decision with the Planning Inspectorate in Bristol and, thanks to Labour's John Prescott, will win that appeal and be granted permission to continue with their plans. It's a travesty, of course, but that's what we've come to expect from Labour's policies - which are still blighting this country almost four years since we rather sensibly booted them out of government. NEVER AGAIN. Ringer

1:29pm Wed 11 Dec 13

house on the hill says...

Ringer wrote:
I feel a little sorry for Mr Gaunt.


This decision went against the advice of planning officers who had recommended the scheme for approval.


Which means the developer will appeal the decision with the Planning Inspectorate in Bristol and, thanks to Labour's John Prescott, will win that appeal and be granted permission to continue with their plans.

It's a travesty, of course, but that's what we've come to expect from Labour's policies - which are still blighting this country almost four years since we rather sensibly booted them out of government.

NEVER AGAIN.
Sadly at the next election I have a feeling not many will agree with you and just have an anti Tory vote because they dislike them too! But that's politics for you.....
[quote][p][bold]Ringer[/bold] wrote: I feel a little sorry for Mr Gaunt. [quote] This decision went against the advice of planning officers who had recommended the scheme for approval. [/quote] Which means the developer will appeal the decision with the Planning Inspectorate in Bristol and, thanks to Labour's John Prescott, will win that appeal and be granted permission to continue with their plans. It's a travesty, of course, but that's what we've come to expect from Labour's policies - which are still blighting this country almost four years since we rather sensibly booted them out of government. NEVER AGAIN.[/p][/quote]Sadly at the next election I have a feeling not many will agree with you and just have an anti Tory vote because they dislike them too! But that's politics for you..... house on the hill

3:46pm Wed 11 Dec 13

Ringer says...

house on the hill wrote:
Ringer wrote:
I feel a little sorry for Mr Gaunt.


This decision went against the advice of planning officers who had recommended the scheme for approval.


Which means the developer will appeal the decision with the Planning Inspectorate in Bristol and, thanks to Labour's John Prescott, will win that appeal and be granted permission to continue with their plans.

It's a travesty, of course, but that's what we've come to expect from Labour's policies - which are still blighting this country almost four years since we rather sensibly booted them out of government.

NEVER AGAIN.
Sadly at the next election I have a feeling not many will agree with you and just have an anti Tory vote because they dislike them too! But that's politics for you.....
Depends on the economy. Up until now, I was absolutely convinced that Labour would storm the next general election and be back in government.

As long as the economy keeps picking up, that becomes a less likely scenario.

And surely nobody could seriously want to see Ed Miliband as prime minister of this country? He'd be even worse than Brown!
[quote][p][bold]house on the hill[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Ringer[/bold] wrote: I feel a little sorry for Mr Gaunt. [quote] This decision went against the advice of planning officers who had recommended the scheme for approval. [/quote] Which means the developer will appeal the decision with the Planning Inspectorate in Bristol and, thanks to Labour's John Prescott, will win that appeal and be granted permission to continue with their plans. It's a travesty, of course, but that's what we've come to expect from Labour's policies - which are still blighting this country almost four years since we rather sensibly booted them out of government. NEVER AGAIN.[/p][/quote]Sadly at the next election I have a feeling not many will agree with you and just have an anti Tory vote because they dislike them too! But that's politics for you.....[/p][/quote]Depends on the economy. Up until now, I was absolutely convinced that Labour would storm the next general election and be back in government. As long as the economy keeps picking up, that becomes a less likely scenario. And surely nobody could seriously want to see Ed Miliband as prime minister of this country? He'd be even worse than Brown! Ringer

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree