THE Stiffs, currently bottom of Division Three, faced United FC for the second time in just over a month and with the previous encounter going the way of United who coasted to an 8-1 win, Ade Giles, Stiffs were out to avenge that defeat.

Although they didn’t get the victory, stand-in manager Keith Quadling would have been happy with they way his side performed as they overturned a 3-0 half time deficit to claim a point from a thrilling 3-3 draw.

Stiffs held out for the opening 30 minutes but three goals in the final 15 minutes of the first half must have seemed as if history would repeat itself and that United would go on and claim an easy win, but that wasn’t the case.

Jacub Koman put United ahead on 31 minutes and five minutes later Agim Iljazi made it 2-0.

A stunning 35 yard strike from Lukasz Bareja took it to 3-0 and it should have been game over.

The Stiffs were excellent in the second half as they came out fighting, a tighter back line allowing them to push on in search of a way back into the game and when Nathan Litterick pulled a goal back the revival had started and things got better after the introduction of substitute Steve Smart who was making his debut for the club.

Smart narrowed the gap to the odd goal and he capped a brilliant cameo appearance with his second and Stiffs third of the afternoon which gave the bottom of the table side a deserved point which was their first of the campaign.     

Bradford United Reserves 2 Trowbridge Town Reserves 7

WITH a number of players called into their first team and players unavailable through injury and illness Bradford United Reserves were always going to be up against it at home to Trowbridge Town Reserves who were looking for an immediate return to winning ways after dropping two points away at Bratton Reserves in their previous game.

Town finished up 7-2 winners in what was a great game for the neutral supporter.

Trowbridge opened the scoring on 10 minutes, good work from Conor Green led to a corner, which was volleyed into the roof of the net from close range by striker Natty Mills.

Four minutes later, Mills turned his marker 40 yards out and made a run for the Bradford goal, only to be brought down just inside the penalty area, after which he coolly converted the spot kick to give The Bee's a 2-0 lead.

Trowbridge certainly didn't have the half all their own way, with Bradford looking dangerous on the break and creating several good chances of their own, but the score remained the same through to the break.

The second half saw Bradford try to take the game to Trowbridge, but it was the visitors to Culver Close who increased their lead on 50 minutes, with Chad Cain popping up in the box to poke home from a Conor Green corner.

Bradford got themselves back in the game just six minutes later when Trowbridge lost procession and Town keeper Nick Dibden was given no chance as the ball was calmly lobbed over his head by Tom May to make it 1-3.

Trowbridge bounced back quickly, with a Kieron Green strike after a scramble in the box, again, a Conor Green corner causing problems for Bradford.

On 67 minutes, an interception from Adam Potter came to Green on the right, who produced a great through ball to Kurt James, who turned his marker and fired into the top corner to make it 5-1.

Bradford scored their second of the afternoon on 78 minutes when a powerful shot was palmed out by Dibden, only for Lee Radwell to follow up to find the net.

Trowbridge continued to press, and increased their lead with Natty Mills completing his treble on 84 minutes and a minute from time Mills netted his fourth following good work from Craig Yelland.

Bratton Reserves 1 Westwood News 3

SIX successive home wins for Mark Hurkett’s Westwood News side has seen the villagers open up a six-point lead at the top of the standings and their first league game away from Bobbin Lane would have been a test of both their map reading skills and ability to perform on the road.

Westwood found it no trouble to find their way to Bratton Reserves and although they made hard work of it they returned home with three more points to their name after coming from behind to claim a 3-1 win.

Bratton stunned their guests inside the first minute, Westwood kick-off but a move up field broke down, a swift counter attack resulted in a corner which was fired home by Darren Hudd to give Bratton a 1-0 lead.

Westwood fought back and restored parity on 15 minutes with Dan Thorne heading them level at one apiece.

Westwood went in front on 47 minutes, Ben Ludwell heading in at the far post following a well placed corner.

Westwood lost keeper Aaron Harford through injury and while Josh Maguire was between the posts, Bratton threatened for a while but they were unable to find an equaliser. 

Once Westwood had replaced Maguire with Martin Cowdrey the game swung back their way and they finally put it too bed on 67 minutes a fine individual from Thorne who rounded the keeper gave him his second of the afternoon and the visitors their third.

Lacock FC 3 The Fleece FC 0

ONE of the matches of the day was at Stanley Park, Chippenham where Lacock FC hosted second placed Fleece FC who, after suffering a first defeat of the season last weekend, were looking for an immediate return to winning ways but once again Fleece were left empty-handed as the hosts took all the points thanks to a 3-0 victory.

Both sides were wasteful in front of goal in the first half as neither could take a chance when it came their way and it was little surprise that the score line remained goalless.

Jamie Murphy broke the deadlock for Lacock and the inform Stuart Tutty doubled the villagers lead before a first of the season from Matthew Blueitt sealed victory over a Fleece side, who finished the game with 10 men after they had Ryan Parfitt sent off late on but by then the damage had already been done.

Trowbridge Rangers 5 Polenez Westbury 3

POLENEZ Westbury have one win to their name to date and that is a 3-1 victory over Trowbridge Rangers, so when the teams met in the reverse clash at Whaddon Lane all eyes were on the visitors to see if they could repeat their success from earlier in the season and claim what would have been their first ever double.

Things didn’t go the way of Polenez as they suffered a 5-3 defeat with Rangers doing the damage in a first half that saw them take a 5-1 lead.

Rangers led through Dan Moore and made it 2-0 thanks to Cameron Thomas.  Rory Elliot and a second from Moore made it 4-0 before Robert Bigaj narrowed the gap only for Thomas to get it back to four goals with his second of the game.

The second half was a lot different as Polenez who finished the game with 10 men after they had Kizsztop Pudialski sent off came back into it with goals from Bartosz  Kogat and Mariusz Hoszko but they weren’t enough as Rangers held out for their first win in four games.