BOOMSBURY closed the gap to Trowbridge Windows & Conservatories-sponsored Trowbridge & District League Division One leaders Melksham Town Reserves to just one point following their own 7-1 win at Castle Combe, which was coupled with Melksham’s draw away at Boomsbury’s fierce rivals North Bradley.

Boomsbury were out of sorts for the opening 20 minutes and were deservedly down 1-0 to a Matt White goal.

But once Ben Howe’s side woke up they bossed the remaining 70 minutes, Oli Howe getting Boomsbury back on level terms before the break.

After the break four quick-fire goals killed off Combe’s challenge. Steve Jackson put Boomsbury in front and a second from Jackson gave them a 3-1 lead.

Manager Howe threw on John Baker and the substitute was an instant success scoring two in two minutes to make it 5-1.

Jackson completed his hat-trick and it was left to Scott Phillips to wrap things up with goal number seven when he capped a fine performance with a well-taken goal.   

North Bradley 2 Melksham Town Reserves 2

EARLY-SEASON pacesetters Melksham Town Reserves dropped their first points of the season.

Melksham settled the quicker of the two teams and home keeper Neil Hannaford dived at the feet of Jordan Evans as Melksham's pressure tested Bradley.

The home team kept their composure and began making chances themselves. Mike Little (twice), Mike Johnson and Dean Ranger went close before Ranger was hauled down after being put through by Mike Spong.

Ben Lee expertly put away the spot kick and Bradley lead at half time, before which Spong senior made way for Shane Spong junior to make his debut.

The game changed tempo shortly after the restart when Melksham gained a controversial penalty themselves, Brad Godridge adjudged to have pulled down Aaron Wiltshire.

Jordan Evans scored the resultant kick and Melksham were buoyed into life, but as they got men forward, Bradley made chances themselves.

The one time Bradley failed to clear their lines Lee Fielding seized on the loose ball and found the net for Melksham who now leading 2-1 would have expected to go on and claim win number seven.

Bradley were still undeterred and with 20 minutes remaining Ricky Kerr's ball into the Melksham box was reached by Little's head just before 'keeper Dave Butler could, and the game was all square again at 2-2.

Melksham's fast-paced pass and move football was matched by Bradley's brave defending, especially the Godridge brothers Ryan and Brad.

Hannaford had to make a final strong save and the returning Bradley veteran Jason Brooks-Stevens shot narrowly over as both teams could have stolen the points, but a draw seemed a fair return for two teams putting in great effort on a tricky surface.

Seend United 1 Warminster Town Reserves 2

IN WHAT was only Warminster Town Reserves' fifth outing of the season they visited a Seend United side who were looking for a fifth win of the new term.

Like the previous Saturday when they pushed Melksham Town Reserves all the way only to lose 2-1, Andy McFarren’s side gave Seend a decent workout and picked up maximum points at the Lye as they came from behind to win 2-1.

Warminster, who fielded eight players under the age of 20, fell behind to a Rob Manning goal, but hauled themselves level midway through the second half with Matt Dyer restoring parity.

With both teams probing for a winner it was Warminster who proved successful, but they had to wait until the 88th minute to claim the killer goal that saw Mark Bailey scramble the ball into the net after an error from the Seend keeper.

Semington Magpies 1 Westbury United Reserves 4

SEMINGTON Magpies and Westbury United Reserves fought out a thrilling 4-4 draw when the sides met a month ago and with Westbury putting their six-match unbeaten start to the campaign on the line in the return meeting at Littlemarsh, it was the visitors who picked up another valuable three points in their bid for the title.

Magpies went one up early in the first half when Sam Malone rounded the keeper and tapped into the empty net for 1-0.

After their promising start Magpies fell apart and allowed Westbury to level before half time, Ashley Easton netting to make it one-each.

After the interval their was only one team in it and once George Wheeler had put Westbury 2-1 in front it was game over.

Marc Lanfear scored goal number three and Kane Scott made it 4-1 when he scored from the penalty spot on 80 minutes after Darren Morris saw red for Magpies when he deliberately used his hands to keep out a shot.