The only fixture of the day in Division Two was at the Beeches, Shaw where relegation-threatened sides Melksham Town A and Calne Eagles met for a second time this term.

Eagles, who had not won since the middle of September, put their disastrous run of results behind them with a convincing 3-0 win over their hosts to avenge their earlier defeat.

The game was in doubt before the kick-off as the referee was unconvinced that the pitch would stand up to 90 minutes of football.

One half of the pitch was perfectly playable, but the other half was a quagmire. Nonetheless, with both teams keen to play, the decision was made to press ahead with the game. Calne Eagles won the toss and decided to defend in the bog during the first half.

Melksham looked dangerous early on. They used the width of the pitch well and put some good balls into the Calne penalty area, which resulted in some numerous bits of last-ditch defending from the away side.

They also had goalkeeper Andy Windsor to thank when he made a sharp double save from Dan Barnett and Will Jacob.

At the other end Calne were showing the confidence and quality on the ball that they had displayed last week against league leaders Steeple Ashton.

And it was this neat team play that presented both Adam Bewley and Matt Richards with good chances to score, but on both occasions they were denied by good saves from goalkeeper Jamie Higdon.

Unfortunately however, the keeper had a moment to forget on 30 minutes when he let a shot from Sam Rogers squirm between his legs and into the net.

This gave Calne a boost and they doubled their lead five minutes later when Stuart Windsor played a magnificent 50 yard pass to put Adam Bewley clean through on goal to score for the second successive week.

Just before half time Melksham had a good shout for a penalty turned down when Calne centre back Roy Wenham clipped the legs of winger Dave Copland just inside the box.

Right at the start of the second half Calne completed the 3-0 scoreline with their best goal this season. Shaun Jefferies ran onto Adam Bewley’s flicked header to riffle home an unstoppable shot from just inside the left hand side of the penalty area, leaving Jamie Higdon in goal no chance whatsoever.

For a period straight after making it 3-0 it looked like Calne might run riot as Melksham’s defence struggled in the mud. Bewley looked to have scored his second of the day when he latched onto Jefferies’ through ball, chipping the ball over the keeper into the net.

However, after initially awarding the goal the referee disallowed it following a discussion with the linesman. Recent signing Rory Davis was also creating problems for the home defence with his excellent movement and good use of the ball.

Late in the game Melksham enjoyed a period of pressure, but they were unable to breach Calne’s resolute backline and the away side held on for a well-earned and much needed three points.