INVESTIGATIONS are continuing at the house at the centre of a murder investigation which was the scene of a dramatic armed raid on Monday.

A 28-year-old man was arrested at the address in Southbrook Street extension at around 8pm after officers locked down a large area of Ferndale with plain clothes officers and armed police.

The man was arrested on suspicion of murdering 60-year-old Aulton ‘Tom’ Rogers, of Walcot, after the pub worker was discovered with multiple stab wounds on the Western Flyer cycle path, close to the Oasis Leisure Centre, on Thursday night.

He is also suspected of a separate incident of robbery and grievous bodily harm with intent at the same location on May 8 this year.

The suspect has not yet been charged and remains in custody as inquiries continue around the property and further afield.

Police locked down the area of Ferndale for about six hours on Monday night, confining residents to their homes as they watched in amazement as events unfolded.

Officers arrived at the scene at around 6pm with a contingent of specialist personnel, and made sure the area was secured before making their move on the target’s home.

Every precaution was taken as officers also closed off an area of allotments immediately behind the house, which could have provided an escape route.

Neighbours reported hearing loud bangs as police entered the property through a ground floor window – the explosions from stun grenades thrown into the building before they entered.

The suspect was unharmed in the raid, and officers dressed him in a full-body forensic suit to make the short walk from the house to a van, ahead of the journey to Gablecross police station, where he remains.

By the following morning the cordon had been reduced to surround the house itself, and a forensic tent erected on the front patio, where investigators examined evidence that had been removed from the house.

The investigation continues as a team of more than 60 officers, including some dispatched from Avon and Somerset Police, work to bring the case to a conclusion.

A spokesman for Wiltshire Police said: "We can confirm that a Superintendent has granted a 12 hour extension of custody for the man arrested on suspicion of the murder of Tom Rogers."

Anyone with information into the events of Thursday night who has not yet come forward can still contact Wiltshire Police on non-emergency number 101 or Crimestoppers on 0800 55 111.