Pubs celebrate being included in top guide

This Is Wiltshire: Mark Burton, the  manager of the Blunsdon Arms Mark Burton, the manager of the Blunsdon Arms

PUBS across Swindon are celebrating being part of a revival in real ale after landing coveted listings in the latest edition of the Campaign for Real Ale’s Good Beer Guide.

The 40th edition of the best-selling series includes The Dockle Farmhouse in Stratton , The Blunsdon Arms, The Beehive in Old Town , the Glue Pot in the Railway Village and the Red Lion at Cricklade .

The Rose and Crown in Highworth , The Five Bells in Royal Wootton Bassett and the Heart in Hand in Blunsdon have also been given glowing write-ups in the 2013 edition.

Simon Cole, the landlord of the Five Bells, said: “We’ve been in the guide for 12 years on the trot but we don’t take it for granted. If we weren’t in it I’d be seriously disappointed. “There are lots of guides out there but CAMRA’s is totally independent and put together through research and follow-up visits.

“We are in it because we have built our business on real ale.”

The entries reflect the changing face of the trade in the area with the revival of real ale at all of the venues featured and the Dockle, a Wetherspoon’s pub, being listed for the first time.

Swindon and North Wilts CAMRA chairman Hans Hoff-bauer said: “Our branch was entitled to 17 entries out of the 60 or so pubs featured in the Wiltshire section. All of the branches would like to choose more and we could usually think of up to 30 that deserve an entry.

“It is often a hard choice to make. We try to visit between 40 and 50 pubs with a view to putting them forward for the guide.

“We have a meeting in March or February to decide which 17 we want featured in the guide. There’s some which I feel are good enough but didn’t get enough votes to make it.”

The guide features more than 4,500 pubs based on painstaking research by local branches.

Author Roger Protz wrote: “There are now 1,008 breweries operating in Britain, the biggest number since the 1940s. CAMRA membership stands at more than 140,000, the highest in the Campaign’s 42-year history. The growth in both brewery numbers and CAMRA membership shows no sign of slowing.

“And while 12 pubs a week are closing, the rate of closure is slowing. There are signs people are returning to pubs not only to enjoy good beer but also because they recognise them as an important community resource that needs to be supported.”

The Adver has supported the trade over the past 12 months by taking part in CAMRA’s Community Pubs Month and through our Pub Of The Week competition

Comments (33)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

9:57pm Wed 12 Sep 12

Bobfm , says...

What, no Carpenter's Arms Motel??!
What, no Carpenter's Arms Motel??! Bobfm ,
  • Score: 0

11:04pm Wed 12 Sep 12

Davey Gravey says...

Bobfm , wrote:
What, no Carpenter's Arms Motel??!
Not with the dish water on offer in arkells pubs.yuck
[quote][p][bold]Bobfm ,[/bold] wrote: What, no Carpenter's Arms Motel??![/p][/quote]Not with the dish water on offer in arkells pubs.yuck Davey Gravey
  • Score: 0

11:13pm Wed 12 Sep 12

semitonic says...

It's no wonder he's abandoned the place.
It's no wonder he's abandoned the place. semitonic
  • Score: 0

1:29am Thu 13 Sep 12

Pompey-Bound says...

Under the present management the Carps cannot be mentioned in the same breath as the other pubs listed above.

Regarding the recent change in tenant, he didn't abandon it. The word is he had a leave.
Under the present management the Carps cannot be mentioned in the same breath as the other pubs listed above. Regarding the recent change in tenant, he didn't abandon it. The word is he had a leave. Pompey-Bound
  • Score: 0

9:43am Thu 13 Sep 12

1 2 Could B says...

I don't think it's fair to blame Arkells for that.
If there is any truth that he "had to leave", perhaps Arkells should be commended
I don't think it's fair to blame Arkells for that. If there is any truth that he "had to leave", perhaps Arkells should be commended 1 2 Could B
  • Score: 0

11:10am Thu 13 Sep 12

RichardR1 says...

Not exactly the accolade it's cracked up to be except for the 1/2pint sandals and anoraks.

There was a pub in a village hamlet 5 miles from Swindon that featured in the guide where the locals walked 2 miles to another pub because the beer was considered awful.

Which just goes to show it's a matter of taste, or perhaps the lack of it in some cases.
Not exactly the accolade it's cracked up to be except for the 1/2pint sandals and anoraks. There was a pub in a village hamlet 5 miles from Swindon that featured in the guide where the locals walked 2 miles to another pub because the beer was considered awful. Which just goes to show it's a matter of taste, or perhaps the lack of it in some cases. RichardR1
  • Score: 0

1:41pm Thu 13 Sep 12

Bobfm , says...

Bit like south marston?
Bit like south marston? Bobfm ,
  • Score: 0

1:56am Fri 14 Sep 12

1 2 Could B says...

Exactly like South Marston, where one pub in particular often has an empty car park
Exactly like South Marston, where one pub in particular often has an empty car park 1 2 Could B
  • Score: 0

8:21am Fri 14 Sep 12

semitonic says...

RichardR1 wrote:
Not exactly the accolade it's cracked up to be except for the 1/2pint sandals and anoraks.

There was a pub in a village hamlet 5 miles from Swindon that featured in the guide where the locals walked 2 miles to another pub because the beer was considered awful.

Which just goes to show it's a matter of taste, or perhaps the lack of it in some cases.
It's a bit rich when someone who wears socks and sandals all year round criticises other people for doing so, along with the rest of their attire and drink preference.

And of course the Good Beer Guide is 'not all it's cracked up to be' because Robbo isn't, never has and never will be in it. Just like Tripadvisor when he lost the 'top spot', suddenly that wasn't all it's cracked up to be.

Good riddance Robbo, I hope the poor unfortunate people of Portsmouth don't have to suffer the indignity of you urinating all over their local rag columns and put you swiftly in your place.
[quote][p][bold]RichardR1[/bold] wrote: Not exactly the accolade it's cracked up to be except for the 1/2pint sandals and anoraks. There was a pub in a village hamlet 5 miles from Swindon that featured in the guide where the locals walked 2 miles to another pub because the beer was considered awful. Which just goes to show it's a matter of taste, or perhaps the lack of it in some cases.[/p][/quote]It's a bit rich when someone who wears socks and sandals all year round criticises other people for doing so, along with the rest of their attire and drink preference. And of course the Good Beer Guide is 'not all it's cracked up to be' because Robbo isn't, never has and never will be in it. Just like Tripadvisor when he lost the 'top spot', suddenly that wasn't all it's cracked up to be. Good riddance Robbo, I hope the poor unfortunate people of Portsmouth don't have to suffer the indignity of you urinating all over their local rag columns and put you swiftly in your place. semitonic
  • Score: 0

9:07am Fri 14 Sep 12

RichardR1 says...

Like most trolls semitonic you are not good on facts are you, the Carpenters Arms Motel has occupied the number 1 spot on Trip Advisor for some considerable time.

If I recall Robfm has always stated despite their high ranking Trip Advisor reviews should be treated with caution.

I think I recall him even inviting the trolls to contact the reviewers in order to show the lies told by the trolls, were indeed that, lies.

And in anticipation of another incoherent rant from master troll Mr Itsamess3 there are thousands who read the on line advertiser without making comment, as I did.
Like most trolls semitonic you are not good on facts are you, the Carpenters Arms Motel has occupied the number 1 spot on Trip Advisor for some considerable time. If I recall Robfm has always stated despite their high ranking Trip Advisor reviews should be treated with caution. I think I recall him even inviting the trolls to contact the reviewers in order to show the lies told by the trolls, were indeed that, lies. And in anticipation of another incoherent rant from master troll Mr Itsamess3 there are thousands who read the on line advertiser without making comment, as I did. RichardR1
  • Score: 0

10:01am Fri 14 Sep 12

1 2 Could B says...

RichardR1 wrote:
Like most trolls semitonic you are not good on facts are you, the Carpenters Arms Motel has occupied the number 1 spot on Trip Advisor for some considerable time.

If I recall Robfm has always stated despite their high ranking Trip Advisor reviews should be treated with caution.

I think I recall him even inviting the trolls to contact the reviewers in order to show the lies told by the trolls, were indeed that, lies.

And in anticipation of another incoherent rant from master troll Mr Itsamess3 there are thousands who read the on line advertiser without making comment, as I did.
Seriously?

Do you think it's "normal" to write that and still (fail to) pretend you're not Robfm?

Bizzarre.
[quote][p][bold]RichardR1[/bold] wrote: Like most trolls semitonic you are not good on facts are you, the Carpenters Arms Motel has occupied the number 1 spot on Trip Advisor for some considerable time. If I recall Robfm has always stated despite their high ranking Trip Advisor reviews should be treated with caution. I think I recall him even inviting the trolls to contact the reviewers in order to show the lies told by the trolls, were indeed that, lies. And in anticipation of another incoherent rant from master troll Mr Itsamess3 there are thousands who read the on line advertiser without making comment, as I did.[/p][/quote]Seriously? Do you think it's "normal" to write that and still (fail to) pretend you're not Robfm? Bizzarre. 1 2 Could B
  • Score: 0

11:37am Fri 14 Sep 12

RichardR1 says...

12 but you pretend you are all manner of people but deny such things frequently.

I think green houses and stones come to mind. So feel free to believe as you wish, no skin off my nose.

So please explain why it should be odd that I or anyone should recall such events given the trolls like you mention things so many times, hard not to remember. Had you not heard repetition is the best type aid to recall.
12 but you pretend you are all manner of people but deny such things frequently. I think green houses and stones come to mind. So feel free to believe as you wish, no skin off my nose. So please explain why it should be odd that I or anyone should recall such events given the trolls like you mention things so many times, hard not to remember. Had you not heard repetition is the best type aid to recall. RichardR1
  • Score: 0

12:21pm Fri 14 Sep 12

RichardR1 says...

Came across this little snippet, rather casts doubt on objectivity one would think.

'Government has done nothing to support pubs claims Good Beer Guide 2013

And supporting and helping to promote JDW through discount vouchers and discounts on production of Camra Card, encouraging real ale drinkers to JDW and not other real ale pubs nearby.

You can't talk to the hand if your left hand don't know what yer right hand be doing.'

Exact words, so know cryptic comments directed at me, or Robfm, well not as Robfm because it came from a site that his full name appears. He didn't pen them, neither did I.
Came across this little snippet, rather casts doubt on objectivity one would think. 'Government has done nothing to support pubs claims Good Beer Guide 2013 And supporting and helping to promote JDW through discount vouchers and discounts on production of Camra Card, encouraging real ale drinkers to JDW and not other real ale pubs nearby. You can't talk to the hand if your left hand don't know what yer right hand be doing.' Exact words, so know cryptic comments directed at me, or Robfm, well not as Robfm because it came from a site that his full name appears. He didn't pen them, neither did I. RichardR1
  • Score: 0

3:35pm Fri 14 Sep 12

semitonic says...

Oh dear, the usual Robfm grammatical errors and denial of writing his own reviews without any provocation at all. Brilliant.

JDW bashing because they are successful and cater for what people actually want, typical Robbo.

Exact words, so know cryptic comments directed at me, or Robfm, well not as Robfm because it came from a site that his full name appears. He didn't pen them, neither did I.


I think the last bit affirms your identity, and probably the fact that you've already hit the sauce at 12:21.
Oh dear, the usual Robfm grammatical errors and denial of writing his own reviews without any provocation at all. Brilliant. JDW bashing because they are successful and cater for what people actually want, typical Robbo. [quote]Exact words, so know cryptic comments directed at me, or Robfm, well not as Robfm because it came from a site that his full name appears. He didn't pen them, neither did I.[/quote] I think the last bit affirms your identity, and probably the fact that you've already hit the sauce at 12:21. semitonic
  • Score: 0

6:10pm Fri 14 Sep 12

RichardR1 says...

semitonic nice to see you trolled on cue. Ever been had chap you guys are so easy to predict. The inappropriate use of words is certain to get you salivating or something equally as nauseating
semitonic nice to see you trolled on cue. Ever been had chap you guys are so easy to predict. The inappropriate use of words is certain to get you salivating or something equally as nauseating RichardR1
  • Score: 0

6:10pm Fri 14 Sep 12

RichardR1 says...

semitonic nice to see you trolled on cue. Ever been had chap you guys are so easy to predict. The inappropriate use of words is certain to get you salivating or something equally as nauseating
semitonic nice to see you trolled on cue. Ever been had chap you guys are so easy to predict. The inappropriate use of words is certain to get you salivating or something equally as nauseating RichardR1
  • Score: 0

6:12pm Fri 14 Sep 12

RichardR1 says...

Must remember not to press go twice, that may identified as a trait.
Must remember not to press go twice, that may identified as a trait. RichardR1
  • Score: 0

6:44pm Fri 14 Sep 12

1 2 Could B says...

Car park still empty then.
Not surprising
Car park still empty then. Not surprising 1 2 Could B
  • Score: 0

2:57pm Sat 15 Sep 12

Pompey-Bound says...

RichardR1 wrote:
Must remember not to press go twice, that may identified as a trait.
Drunk as a skunk.
[quote][p][bold]RichardR1[/bold] wrote: Must remember not to press go twice, that may identified as a trait.[/p][/quote]Drunk as a skunk. Pompey-Bound
  • Score: 0

4:47pm Sat 15 Sep 12

RichardR1 says...

Pompey-Bound fancy admitting that at 2.57pm. You should be ashamed of yourself. Going home for a bit of marital abuse are we.?
Pompey-Bound fancy admitting that at 2.57pm. You should be ashamed of yourself. Going home for a bit of marital abuse are we.? RichardR1
  • Score: 0

11:40pm Sat 15 Sep 12

1 2 Could B says...

Still making up serious false allegations?

Some bar stewards never learn
Still making up serious false allegations? Some bar stewards never learn 1 2 Could B
  • Score: 0

8:25am Sun 16 Sep 12

RichardR1 says...

12 it seems you should heed your own comments, weren't you sacked for your online activity bringing your local company in to disrepute when posting as I Too.
12 it seems you should heed your own comments, weren't you sacked for your online activity bringing your local company in to disrepute when posting as I Too. RichardR1
  • Score: 0

5:09pm Sun 16 Sep 12

itsamess3 says...

Poor demented Bob with his mix of past events he claims to have observed over the years.
Get this into your head--you are breaching all the terms of the site as usual by your numerous accusations and name calling and abusive manner based on pure jealousy through your lack of success.
You are easily spotted by your well known mis-spells and grammatical errors and your sole purpose being to disrupt the site by creating argument.
We--collectively would prefer a site where discussions on the articles could be taken notice of and acted on-that will never happen until these futile arguments take place.
I can only suggest the members of this site collectively ask that that the adver uses the rights of their privacy policy and check you ISP and block you completely and allow more local issues to be debated on this site.
It is clear you have invented this new persona to allow you to continue dispuption of this site from Portsmouth--if you do it will be short lived as the long awaited appeal is to be heard in camera in Nov and a full re-trial ordered.
Unlike you i speak the truth and will always be itsamess.
Do grow up and keep to the site rules.
Poor demented Bob with his mix of past events he claims to have observed over the years. Get this into your head--you are breaching all the terms of the site as usual by your numerous accusations and name calling and abusive manner based on pure jealousy through your lack of success. You are easily spotted by your well known mis-spells and grammatical errors and your sole purpose being to disrupt the site by creating argument. We--collectively would prefer a site where discussions on the articles could be taken notice of and acted on-that will never happen until these futile arguments take place. I can only suggest the members of this site collectively ask that that the adver uses the rights of their privacy policy and check you ISP and block you completely and allow more local issues to be debated on this site. It is clear you have invented this new persona to allow you to continue dispuption of this site from Portsmouth--if you do it will be short lived as the long awaited appeal is to be heard in camera in Nov and a full re-trial ordered. Unlike you i speak the truth and will always be itsamess. Do grow up and keep to the site rules. itsamess3
  • Score: 0

5:16pm Sun 16 Sep 12

itsamess3 says...

As to the article--not being a drinker it is nice to see some of our pubs being praised for what they do and the standards they have achieved by commitment to their trade and their customers in what are challenging times. These pubs attempt to provide a good service and community spirit-long may they be supported.
As to the article--not being a drinker it is nice to see some of our pubs being praised for what they do and the standards they have achieved by commitment to their trade and their customers in what are challenging times. These pubs attempt to provide a good service and community spirit-long may they be supported. itsamess3
  • Score: 0

5:21pm Sun 16 Sep 12

itsamess3 says...

As to the article--not being a drinker it is nice to see some of our pubs being praised for what they do and the standards they have achieved by commitment to their trade and their customers in what are challenging times. These pubs attempt to provide a good service and community spirit-long may they be supported.
As to the article--not being a drinker it is nice to see some of our pubs being praised for what they do and the standards they have achieved by commitment to their trade and their customers in what are challenging times. These pubs attempt to provide a good service and community spirit-long may they be supported. itsamess3
  • Score: 0

10:01am Mon 17 Sep 12

RichardR1 says...

What a strange rambling post from Mr Itsamess3. Admitting using subsequent logins because your others were banned rather makes you look to be guilty of those things you accuse others of.

As for this fantasy court case, frankly not even you most staunch fellow trolls actually believe that. You could of course prove everyone wrong by actually putting a name to the case, so it can be checked with the National listing office.

You see your claim about the appeal being heard in camera just shows yet again what a fantasy it is. I seem to recall you stating a retrial had been granted some 12 months ago.

Anyway as I am not going to Portsmouth I would hardly be posting from there.
What a strange rambling post from Mr Itsamess3. Admitting using subsequent logins because your others were banned rather makes you look to be guilty of those things you accuse others of. As for this fantasy court case, frankly not even you most staunch fellow trolls actually believe that. You could of course prove everyone wrong by actually putting a name to the case, so it can be checked with the National listing office. You see your claim about the appeal being heard in camera just shows yet again what a fantasy it is. I seem to recall you stating a retrial had been granted some 12 months ago. Anyway as I am not going to Portsmouth I would hardly be posting from there. RichardR1
  • Score: 0

6:48pm Mon 17 Sep 12

itsamess3 says...

Time will tell Bobby--do refer to the privacy terms of the site and note the adver keep records of the ISP--one of the agreements all posters accept when signing up. Needless to say you should also read fully the terms and conditions of the site--which you persistently breach in your endeavours to create some form of argument.
You have shown with all your posts all the traits you are well known for--to the point it is very hilar.ious to deny who you are.
I care not what others think as generally i am far to busy to comment these days-unless i have some interest--and the time.
Do not humiliate yourself further by asking questions followed by your usual rhetoric due to your inabilty to find valid information-it has never worked and never will.
Do follow the site terms and respect folks enjoyment here.
Time will tell Bobby--do refer to the privacy terms of the site and note the adver keep records of the ISP--one of the agreements all posters accept when signing up. Needless to say you should also read fully the terms and conditions of the site--which you persistently breach in your endeavours to create some form of argument. You have shown with all your posts all the traits you are well known for--to the point it is very hilar.ious to deny who you are. I care not what others think as generally i am far to busy to comment these days-unless i have some interest--and the time. Do not humiliate yourself further by asking questions followed by your usual rhetoric due to your inabilty to find valid information-it has never worked and never will. Do follow the site terms and respect folks enjoyment here. itsamess3
  • Score: 0

7:55am Tue 18 Sep 12

RichardR1 says...

Mr Itsamess, for some one who doesn't have time to post you were clearly busy posting on practically every thread, yesterday evening, that previously had none, these going back days. I guess you weren't attempting to provoke an argument on solar, hydrogen etc.

As for finding information. It really is quite easy to establish details of appeals. They are listed on the Justice Department's web site and include all November appeals, none of which go back over 25 years, which you claim your fantasy trial does.

However you will now say it's in camera so it wouldn't be listed, which of course would be a lie, at least according to the Justice Department, who say all cases are listed even those which may well be in camera for clearly defined reasons, which your claimed event wouldn't fit.

As for sticking to site rules. You have posted 2 posts here that breach site rules, I am merely responding to those and those from the other trolls.
Mr Itsamess, for some one who doesn't have time to post you were clearly busy posting on practically every thread, yesterday evening, that previously had none, these going back days. I guess you weren't attempting to provoke an argument on solar, hydrogen etc. As for finding information. It really is quite easy to establish details of appeals. They are listed on the Justice Department's web site and include all November appeals, none of which go back over 25 years, which you claim your fantasy trial does. However you will now say it's in camera so it wouldn't be listed, which of course would be a lie, at least according to the Justice Department, who say all cases are listed even those which may well be in camera for clearly defined reasons, which your claimed event wouldn't fit. As for sticking to site rules. You have posted 2 posts here that breach site rules, I am merely responding to those and those from the other trolls. RichardR1
  • Score: 0

9:56am Tue 18 Sep 12

1 2 Could B says...

RichardR1 wrote:
12 it seems you should heed your own comments, weren't you sacked for your online activity bringing your local company in to disrepute when posting as I Too.
No Robfm.
I actually left for a different job in which I could use my pilot license to good effect.

It also pays more, but thanks for proving that you are Robfm AND showing your vindictive personality
[quote][p][bold]RichardR1[/bold] wrote: 12 it seems you should heed your own comments, weren't you sacked for your online activity bringing your local company in to disrepute when posting as I Too.[/p][/quote]No Robfm. I actually left for a different job in which I could use my pilot license to good effect. It also pays more, but thanks for proving that you are Robfm AND showing your vindictive personality 1 2 Could B
  • Score: 0

1:00pm Tue 18 Sep 12

RichardR1 says...

12, so as I Too you are telling all posters that you told a blatant lie, without any reason to do so by stating you lost your job because of something Robfm did.

Nothing more really needs to be said, other than I will use the search facility to find the links where you repeated the lie on a number of occasions.

Thank you for that.
12, so as I Too you are telling all posters that you told a blatant lie, without any reason to do so by stating you lost your job because of something Robfm did. Nothing more really needs to be said, other than I will use the search facility to find the links where you repeated the lie on a number of occasions. Thank you for that. RichardR1
  • Score: 0

3:31pm Tue 18 Sep 12

1 2 Could B says...

RichardR1 wrote:
12, so as I Too you are telling all posters that you told a blatant lie, without any reason to do so by stating you lost your job because of something Robfm did.

Nothing more really needs to be said, other than I will use the search facility to find the links where you repeated the lie on a number of occasions.

Thank you for that.
Wow!

Typical Robfm :-)
[quote][p][bold]RichardR1[/bold] wrote: 12, so as I Too you are telling all posters that you told a blatant lie, without any reason to do so by stating you lost your job because of something Robfm did. Nothing more really needs to be said, other than I will use the search facility to find the links where you repeated the lie on a number of occasions. Thank you for that.[/p][/quote]Wow! Typical Robfm :-) 1 2 Could B
  • Score: 0

5:18pm Tue 18 Sep 12

RichardR1 says...

There are many fine pubs in and around Swindon who quietly get on with what they do.

Sadly as we have seen in Swindon over 30 have closed in the last few years. Community pubs lost for ever.
There are many fine pubs in and around Swindon who quietly get on with what they do. Sadly as we have seen in Swindon over 30 have closed in the last few years. Community pubs lost for ever. RichardR1
  • Score: 0

7:01pm Tue 18 Sep 12

1 2 Could B says...

Some pubs will be sadly missed.
Others were less reputable
Some pubs will be sadly missed. Others were less reputable 1 2 Could B
  • Score: 0

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree