A BIZARRE incident which saw a large lorry crash into two parked cars has highlighted Cricklade residents safety concerns over heavy goods vehicles in the town.

The incident happened yesterday lunchtime when the lorry, which was carrying two large skips, dislodged the two vehicles from their parking spaces and pushed them down the road, blocking access to the High Street between Calcutt Street and the B4040.

The cause of the collision is not yet known, but both the blue Alfa Romeo and blue Vauxhall Zafira were left badly damaged and blocked the road for several hours.

No one was injured in the crash, but it has sparked fresh concern from residents about the number of HGVs that use the narrow High Street.

Bob Jones, chairman of the Cricklade Business Association, helped ease the congestion as he donned a hi-vis vest and stood on the roundabout at the junction with Calcutt Street diverting traffic.

“I was dropping my wife off at the bank and I just heard an almighty crunch,” he said. “The truck had only just come past me and as far as I know collided with the two parked cars.

“Recently we have carried out surveys regarding the number of HGVs going through Cricklade.

“It is of great concern to people living here and is a great concern to the businesses.

“This is something that has been coming and it is just a relief that nobody was in the car, or they could have been badly hurt.

“The town council is aware of our concerns and I think this just highlights them.”

Patricia Woods was walking past shortly after the collision happened and said it was the second time she had seen a parked car hit in the High Street.

She said: “This is not the first time I have seen one of these large lorries cause an accident.

“It is dangerous, especially because there are a lot of elderly residents in Cricklade, and these big lorries rattle and shake the place when they come through.

“I think something needs to be done to put a stop to it, so they can find an alternative route.”

Wiltshire Police are investigating what happened and anyone with any information should call 101.