STEEPLE Ashton missed out on the chance to move level with the Lamb at the top of the Division Two table after they were beaten 6-2 at Westbury Town.

Ashton had lost their way in previous weeks, losing two on the spin against Westwood News, but luckily for Neil Taylor’s side they were both cup matches so a return to league action on Saturday afternoon was expected to bring a return to winning ways for the villagers, who had defeated their hosts 3-2 on the opening day.

Westbury tore the form book up as they dominated from start to finish as they ran out deserved winners.

Daryl Maxwell and Scott Walford put Andy Cousins’ side 2-0 up but they saw they lead reduced before half time with Steve Coveney pulling a goal back for Ashton.

The second half saw Westbury raise their game to top gear and a second from Maxwell restored their two-goal cushion.

Ian Gray headed home number for and it was curtains for Ashton when Maxwell completed his hat-trick.

Josh Dowd bagged number six for the hosts before Reuben Spong on his debut since his switch from Boomsbury opened his account for Ashton with what was little more than a consolation.   

Calne Eagles 0 Bratton 1

TEN-MAN Bratton completed the double over Calne Eagles, but unlike three weeks ago, where the Westbury-based side, ran riot 7-1, in this match they were made to fight all the way for the result.

Indeed, for the second week running the Eagles, who lost 1-0, were left wondering what might have been had they converted their chances.

Calne started the game a bit nervously and a mix-up at the back let in Andy Sims after only five minutes, but the midfielder fired his shot wide from just inside the box.

Bratton also forced numerous corners. However, as the half progressed Calne settled down and started to match their opponents.

Although Bratton continued to look dangerous, the best chance of the first 45 minutes fell to Calne.

On 33 minutes Adam Bewley was sent through on goal by a pass from Russell Driver, but the normally-clinical striker chipped the ball tamely into goalkeeper Dave Jones’ hands, when squaring the ball to strike-partner Stuart Windsor, who was unmarked, was probably the best option.

In the second half the game continued to remain incredibly tight. Karl Sharratt fizzed a good effort just of the post and also forced a good save out of Dave Jones moments later.

At the other end Andy Sims headed the ball against the crossbar from close range after a good cross from Dan Cox.

The deadlock was finally broken on 71 minutes when Bratton midfielder Chris Storey’s superbly controlled volley from the edge of the box found the bottom corner past the despairing dive of keeper Andy Windsor, who got finger tips to the ball but could keep it out of the net.

Shortly afterwards Bratton were reduced to 10 men after a five-minute spell of madness from their top scorer Dan Cox saw him sent off.

On 75 minutes Cox got in a petty disagreement with the referee over a throw-in that had gone against him, during which time he kicked the ball away twice in disgust and was lucky not to be sent off at that time.

However, Cox’s determination to press the self-destruct button continued and two minutes later he was shown a straight red card, when he petulantly stamped on Kian Enderby’s chest, who was on the ground after tackling the striker.

In the final ten minutes Calne pressed hard to make the one man advantage pay off.

Rob Docherty, who was playing his first game of the season after a triple hernia operation in the summer, nearly crowned a good performance in midfield when he hit a rasping volley from a corner that cannoned off a defender on the line.

Then with two minutes left centre back Enderby scuffed a great chance just wide of goal after he was set up by a great run from Karl Sharratt.

However, Bratton held on to claim all three points.

MATCHES OFF: Broughton Gifford v The Lamb, Trowbridge Wanderers Reserves v Worton & Cheverell.