FRUSTRATED Frome Town were unable to build on last weekend's show-stopping victory at league leaders Hemel Hempstead Town as they were beaten at Biggleswade Town last night.

The Robins produced one of their finest performances of the season but still found themselves on the end of a 2-0 defeat in Bedfordshire.

The match started in the worst possible way for Frome as the hosts took the lead in the third minute, with left winger Alex Whitham cutting inside and smashing an unstoppable shot into far top corner of Darren Chitty’s net.

However, Adrian Foster's were quickly into their stride and the eighth minute saw a Mark Francis cross from the left met by an acrobatic Kris Miller overhead kick, bringing a good save from Ian Brown at full stretch.

As the half progressed, Frome were playing some good football and knocking it around well but final ball was quite not there yet, and in the 20th minute, the returning Tim Stephenson replaced the injured Jack Vallis.

The Robins went close in the 27th minute as Matt Smith flicked on a ball from Stephenson, a Matt Groves shot was blocked into Ben Wood’s path, and his immediate return ball saw Groves shoot wide of the goal.

After Miller had shot over from a corner, a Wood free kick was headed back by Stephenson to the unmarked Smith on edge of area, but his shot went straight at Brown as he struggled to keep his footing.

Frome didn’t deserve to be behind at the break, and they started the second half well as a great spin and clip down the line by Francis to Wood set him on his way and the Robins forward beat an opposition full back and drove the ball across goal but there was nobody there to get on the end of it.

The visitors' pressure continued and a super free kick from just outside the area by Wood brought a great save from Brown as he tipped it over the bar.

But the suckerpunch came in the 67th minute as a free kick was floated into the Frome area and the loose ball fell to Brett Donnelly, who mis-kicked it into the goal.

Frome continued to press and a Jon Vance free-kick in the 80th minute looked to have beaten the keeper but the ball popped up into his grateful arms, and then Biggleswade hit the post four minutes later with a rare attack.

The last two minutes saw the ball worked to Francis, who cut into the box from the wing, but when it looked likely to be a repeat of Saturday’s goal, this time the shot went the wrong side of post.

And on the stroke of full time, Josh Ford played a great ball forward and Francis beat the last defender but again shot wide.