SIMON Gardner was delighted to see smiles back on the faces of his Calne Town players after they finally bounced back to winning ways in style last weekend.

Calne had gone nine games without a win in the Toolstation League First Division but brought their miserable run to an end by firing six past bottom-of-the-table Portishead Town at Bremhill View.

Gardner hopes hitting the goal trail represents a change in fortunes for the Lilywhites.

“I’ve sounded like a broken record in the last few weeks but we’ve just not been getting the luck we’ve deserved,” said the Calne chief.

“We’ve been playing well but it’s the silly mistakes and not taking our chances that’s been costing us. We’ve actually played a lot better than we did on Saturday and not won those games.

“I had our captain Neurin Jones say a few words before the game because, with all respect to Portishead, they were bottom of the league and we needed to be taking three points.

“They certainly didn’t deserve a 6-0 drubbing but it was great to see the smiles back on the faces.

“It was a far cry from what the dressing room has been like recently and hopefully the boys can start enjoying things again.

“If we can keep playing like we did last weekend then there’s no reason why we can’t get back to picking up points and push ourselves up towards mid-table, which is where we should be.”

Top scorer Glenn Armstrong headed the Lilywhites in front from Tom Slater’s cross before Mark Dolman made it 2-0 with a superbly-struck free-kick.

Dolman whipped another set-piece into the top corner early in the second period before Jamie Jordan steered the ball home after a driving run.

Armstrong slotted home his second of the afternoon after he was set up by Liam Ralph before substitute Stuart Windsor nodded home to complete the rout.

Calne travel to Welton Rovers this weekend.

Park find the right formula for success

DAVE Ferris reckons his Chippenham Park side are playing without fear at the moment after they notched up a fourth win on the trot last weekend.

Mark Robinson blazed a first half penalty wide of the mark after Ryan Campbell was tripped in the area but Luke Murden fired home a free-kick to see off Wellington at Hardenhuish Park.

“We understand that there are some good sides in this league but my lads don't fear anyone at the moment – they're playing with confidence,” said Ferris.

“I think that the Wellington manager (Mike Hawes) summed it up best on Saturday when he said that we simply wanted it more.

“We’ve always prided ourselves on our defensive capabilities and the back four were superb but the midfield four were absolutely phenomenal in tracking back too – they’re a good side but they only had two shots all game.

“But we’ve got to play Wellington again this weekend and I do think that it’s going to be a different game.”

Ferris also believes that young goalscorer Murden, who began the season on the fringes of the Chippenham Town squad, is getting back to his best.

The Park manager said: “Luke broke his ankle at the start of the season and I think the injury affected his confidence a bit.

“He has struggled with his fitness too but I think that in the last two or three weeks, he’s been enjoying his football again.

“He’s a lad I believe could well be playing at a higher level than the first division of the Western League but we’re hoping to have him for the rest of the season and we’d love to keep him beyond that.”

New boy Hamilton makes his mark

CORSHAM Town notched up a second 1-1 draw in five days as they were held at Roman Glass St George on Wednes-day night.

Both sides found the net in the first half, with new Corsham striker Jackson Hamilton grabbing a goal for Trevor Rawlings’ men on his first start.

But the two teams couldn’t be serrated in the second period as it ended all squad on Roman Glass’ artificial pitch.

Meanwhile, the scoreline was the same last weekend as Rawlings’ side picked up a point against promotion-chasing Welton Rovers at the Southbank.

The visitors’ James Moon shot over the bar before a spectacular overhead kick from Welton’s Anthony Conradi was kept out by Corsham keeper Kent Kauppinen.

But the hosts broke the deadlock five minutes before half-time, with a cleared corner finding its way to Nick Holton, who held his nerve to put Corsham ahead with an effort drilled low into the net.

But the visitors roared back and levelled things up soon after the break, with Dan Cottle’s cross from the left flank bravely headed home by Conradi.

Ben Moore wasn’t far off-target as he looked to restore Corsham’s lead while Kauppinen denied Welton’s Moon at the other end as both sides claimed a share of the spoils.

While his side have been left kicking their heels in recent weeks, Rawlings has been able to bolster his squad, bringing two players back to Corsham along the way.

Forward Jamal Chevolleau returned against Welton after re-joining from near neighbours Calne Town while Aaron Ledgister has signed dual-registration forms, with the winger featuring against Roman Glass on Wednesday.

Corsham take on local rivals Warminster Town at the Southbank tomorrow.

Flowers is hoping to kick on

MANAGER Justin Flowers has his fingers crossed that another agonising spell of heel-kicking isn’t in store for Corsham Town Reserves after their derby victory over FC Chippenham Youth.

In the only game to survive the elements last weekend, a last-gasp penalty saw Corsham claim a 2-1 victory on the 3G pitch at Stanley Park.

Flowers was delighted to see his side take all three points in their first outing for almost a month and is hoping the weather won’t put paid to this weekend’s trip to neighbours Wilts Calne Town.

“We hadn’t played for a long time and it’s been really frustrating – hopefully we don’t have to wait another month to play again because this weekend is a big one,” he said.

“Speaking to people about Chippenham’s game against Devizes last week, I was told it was a game of two halves because of the wind, so we tried to use that to our advantage.

“We went ahead when a corner kick went all the way into the net but we got pegged back, which we were really disappointed about.

“Liam Fullam got kicked off the ball right at the end and the referee didn’t see it but the linesman gave it. I could hear the kick and it was refreshing to see the lino have the courage to give it.

“We were fortunate to get the chance to score a second but I definitely thought that we deserved it.”

Darrin Moss’ whipped corner-kick curled all the way in via a deflection off the post early on before Chippenham pounced to level the scores at 1-1.

But when Corsham were handed a spot-kick at the death, Adam Mitchell fired home a dramatic winner.