ADRIAN Foster was delighted that captain Josh Ford bought into his long-term vision for Frome Town and turned down the chance to move to Conference North Oxford City.

The 23-year-old defender, who joined the Robins from Taunton Town in January 2013, was the subject of a seven-day approach from Oxford last week but after Badgers Hill boss Foster reiterated his desire to keep hold of Ford, the former Weston-super-Mare man opted to stay put.

“Josh told me that he’d had a trial at Hereford (United) before Christmas, so I don’t know if the manager there recommended him to Oxford,” said the Frome manager.

“If players want to move on to a higher level, then I’ll back them 100 per cent, but I’ll be honest and tell them if I think it’s the right move for them.

“If they were a side pushing for the play-offs, then I’d have said jump at the chance but I didn’t feel that it would have been a good move for him at this moment in time.

“He’s club captain and he’s an important part of the rebuilding of Frome Town. He understands what I’m trying to do here and I’m happy that he’s decided to stay with us.”

Last weekend, there was disappointment for the Robins as they slipped to a 2-1 defeat at second-placed Chesham United, despite an impressive performance.

The league’s top scorer Drew Roberts fired home from the penalty spot after Dan Braithwaite controversially went to ground under Rhys Baggridge’s challenge but Frome hit back in the second period as Matt Groves fired home after being set up by Tim Stephenson.

But the visitors went down to 10 men as defender Baggridge was shown a second yellow for a foul on Roberts and from the resulting free-kick, the Chesham striker’s header trickled through the legs of Darren Chitty after a wicked deflection.

Foster added: “I’m not one for singling out referees but the referee definitely influenced the result.

“I don’t know how he’s given the penalty because it wasn’t one at all.

“Their manager (Andy Leese) agreed that we deserved to win the game and it was frustrating to play well and not win the game. I’d rather play rubbish and come away with the points.”

Strikers Ben Thomson and Mark Francis are set to return to the Frome squad for tomorrow’s home clash with Biggleswade Town.

Tuesday’s postponed trip to Poole Town has been rearranged for next Thursday (7.45pm).