A FIRST-HALF goal from Calne Eagles teenage midfielder Calvin Bye was enough to earn his team a hard-fought 1-0 win against fellow Division One strugglers Trowbridge Wanderers.

Calne looked the brighter team early on and should have opened the scoring after 11 minutes when good work from Lawrence Elliott set up his strike partner Keiron Gleed, but the normally clinical striker blazed over from close range.

Calne continued to look the better side in attack and they took a deserved lead after 18 minutes when more impressive link-up play from striker Lawrence Elliott set up teammate Bye who scored his first goal in men’s football with a superbly-controlled finish from just outside the box.

Before half time Wanderers had a very good spell where they enjoyed a lot of possession, but they also struggled to find a way through Calne’s organised defence. Instead, they were mainly limited to shots from outside the box that failed to seriously test Andy Windsor in goal.

In second half both teams created a handful of decent chances but neither managed to force a meaningful save out of either goalkeeper.

Calne’s winger Jake Goodwin nearly capped an impressive performance with a goal but he put 2 good chances to extend Calne’s lead wide of the target. Strikers Keiron Gleed and Lawrence Elliot also went close to scoring.

Towards the end of the game Wanderers had the chance to get something from the game but Jamie Kitchen put chances wide of the post, Calne’s pace in attack ensured that the home side were unable to mount any consistent pressure, which allowed Calne to gain a much needed 3 points.

Castle Combe 3 The Lamb FC 1

ANY lingering doubts that Castle Combe may have had about their first division future should have been put to bed after Paul Sanderson’s side picked up maximum points from the visit of Lamb FC, who had beaten their hosts 2-1 when the teams last met but suffered a 3-1 loss in the reverse fixture.

Lamb led at the break through a Sam Stevens goal but they were pegged back in the second half when Ben Pemberton’s deflected effort drew them level. Karl Sharratt put Combe 2-1 ahead before he bagged a second to wrap up victory for Paul Sanderson’s side.

North Bradley 4 Warminster Town Reserves 0

THE encounter at Leighton Sports Centre between North Bradley and Warminster Town Reserves was a rematch of last Wednesday night's A&B Cup quarter final tie which Warminster emerged from with a shock 2-0 win.

But in the league match Bradley gained some revenge for their cup exit thanks to a comfortable 4-0 win with all the goals coming in the first half.

Following a massive shake-up to their side after Wednesday cup loss Bradley took the lead through Scott Askew. Dave Sykes made it 2-0 and Dean Ranger added a third before Askew completed the scoring with his second of the afternoon to give Bradley a much-needed victroy that keeps them in the title hunt.

Semington Magpies 1 Bradford United 2

A 2-1 VICTORY for Bradford United at Semington Magpies has moved Anthony Ottavaino’s side up to third place in the standings.

Bradford got off to a flyer and took a fifth-minute lead when Phil Little volleyed home.

Bradford were on top but were unable to add to Little’s effort despite rattling the woodwork and going close on numerous occasions, but they were able to take a two-goal lead into the second period thanks to Richie Bliha who connected with Phil Sandford’s cross to send a side-footed volley in off the post to make it 2-0.

If Bradford bossed the first half they were left wanting in the second period as they were dreadful and were lucky that Semington didn’t make the most of their inept showing as they had more than enough chances to get something from a game once Rich Allum had reduced the arrears midway through the half when after beating three players he prodded home from 12 yards to give Magpies hope, however it wasn’t enough as although Bradford were left hanging on at the end they did just enough to claim the spoils.

Steeple Ashton 4 Freshford United 5

NEIL Taylor’s Steeple Ashton may have produced one of their performances for a very long time to beat local rivals Semington Magpies last weekend, but Taylor’s men were unable to do the same at home to table-toppers Freshford United.

Freshford edged a thriller 5-4 in a match that was marred by a serious in to Ashton’s Matt Gittins who suffered a broken tibia.

Ashton found themselves 2-0 down within five minutes as goals from Ricky Trott and Chris Maskrey put Freshford ahead.

Mike Hindle halved the deficit for Ashton on 24 minutes but just four minutes later Nick Ross netted to regain a two-goal cushion for the leaders.

The second period was just as action-packed at the first, Marc Sheppard’s 63rd-minute strike got Ashton back in the contest but once again just as they were starting to get on top they conceded with Mark Gerrish firing home a free kick on 71 minutes to hand the advantage back to Freshford.

Ashton’s response was swift as they went up the other end and scored their third of the afternoon with Guy Rowley keeping them in the contest and it was game on when Rowley struck his second of the afternoon to square things up at four apiece in the 81st minute.

Ashton were then dealt a cruel blow on 84 minutes when they lost Gittins through injury.

With the game held up for almost an hour while the teams waited for an ambulance it was Ashton who were affected most when the game eventually restarted to play out the final six minutes.

With just two minutes remaining Ashton suffered further heartache when Russell Whatley popped up on the edge of their 18 yard box to lash home what was a unkind winner for Freshford as until the game was held up it was looking as if Ashton could pull off a shock victory.